• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Saving the recipe as brewed vs. as planned.

ivectoryou

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi.

I'm still dialing in my equipment and learning the AG process, therefore I have missed my planned OG and volumes a couple of times.  All of the beers have come out excellent, but I still want to save the original recipe and attempt to hit the planned #'s while also saving the "as brewed" #'s (because the beer came out great and I might prefer the "as brewed" recipe more than the "planned recipe."

My idea was to save them with different file names such as: (recipe name) AB and (recipe name) Orig.  AB= As brewed and Orig = Original Recipe.

In case there is a better idea out there than i have, I'd love to hear it and if so, use your method. 

Afterward, I modify the recipe to reflect what I actually achieved on brew day so I can record my impressions and any competition success in that recipe file. 

When I brew it again, I 'duplicate' the recipe file and add a 'v2' or 'v3' to the name like so.......

Recipe: 18B Belgian Dubbel v2

and then make changes based on notes from the last one.  That way, I have all the notes from what I messed up and wanted to correct or change when I am working on the next try.  I make up most of my own recipes, so that is all I need.  If you're wanting to keep an original "sourced" recipe from a site or a magazine, then perhaps keeping those in a separate folder would help, with the source in the name, such as

Recipe: 18B Belgian Dubbel (Zymurgy Oct 2008)

That way, those originals would never be changed.  You could even "lock" them with the checkbox  between the Help button and the Taste Rating field. 

I keep my base recipes in a folder other than the Brew Log and copy it to the brew log when I have it scheduled.

Fred

Back