• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Program Update Failure...

mr_beer

Grandmaster Brewer
Master Brewer
Reaction score
I have purchased a new system and have the Windows 7 Professional 64Bit version installed.

The only account installed has administrator privileges.

I am moving over the past 5 years worth of programs and other stuff [sigh...]

Checked for updates to BeerSmith and found one on old system and applied -- 1.4_038

Installed BeerSmith, input the new serial number and worked fine.  Exported/Imported my recipe collection and it too worked fine.  

Installed version on new system is 1.4_037

Went to update via the Internet and received the following error message...
 "Can't open local path C:\Program Files\BeerSmith\Updates\BeerSmith.exe"

My assumption is that this some type of permission issue but ???

Any help would be appreciated.  

Any way to save/restore the Inventory information and changes to the mash profiles or do I have to enter them manually?

Hi,
 The update should work - I would check the permissions on the "Updates" directory.  Alternately you can certainly manually update the program by just downloading the latest version from the BeerSmith web site main download page - the instructions for upgrading are on the right side.

The inventory is stored in the various "Hops.bsm", "Grains.bsm" and other files.  You can use the Import and Merge command to import each of these into their respective tables which will update your old inventory information.

Cheers,
Brad

Well you were correct -- it was a permissions issue.  But I believe it indicates some type of BeerSmith Installer glitch or possibly the settings need to be tweaked a bit.

New Windows 7 installation out of the box
Installed BeerSmith and it installed into the \Program Files directory not the \Program Files (x86) directory as most 32 bit applications do.  

Inspection of the properties for the subservient directory \Program Files\BeerSmith\Updates indicates that it was a Read Only directory for system users.  As I understand it this is a standard construct for this environment but not a standard construct for the \Program Files (x86) directory and is a way for Microsoft to start to tighten the security in the executable s area.  

Since the update process is an extension of the User permissions, the update was not allowed.  

After manually changing the properties on the ...\Update directory the update process downloaded the new material. 

BUT..  the actual update process 'hung' and did not get past the "Equipment .BSM..." stage.  The executable did not update.  Probably the same problem  I then changed the permissions of the \BeerSmith but the software said no updates were available.  So, in this environment, the update process is still failing.  

You might want to review the Installer script to make sure that the ..\Updates directory has Write permissions enabled and then see if the update processes running in the "TrustedInstaller" state.

Thanks,
  I will certainly take a look at both issues.  I recently updated the installed for Windows 7 but was not running on the 64 bit version.  Apparently some differences with the 64 bit version vice 32 bit version we originally tested under.

Cheers,
Brad

Any progress on this issue??

No - but I did manage to finally get a Vista 64 laptop last week to test this on.  I'm trying to find a few minutes to do some testing.  I do recommend taking a look at the updates directory under BeerSmith and make sure you have write permission to it as this is where the updates go.

Cheers,
Brad

I have checked and as designed by the OS, the BeerSmith directory and all subsidiary directories are NOT enabled for writes. 

This is a Windows 7 Professional OS install, not Home or Home Premium. 

As I understand it this Windows 7 design paradigm is part of their security enhancement package.  If the installation had occurred in the Program Files (x86) directory then the update would have worked since the directory permissions would not have been set for ReadOnly.  One other application program I had demonstrated the same behavior and the developers had to change the installation/update paradigm. 

As I understand it, the actual installation process uses a 'Trusted Installer' state that allows writes but once the program is executing the update process is an extension of the User permissions state and the update will not be allowed.  At least that is how I read the Microsoft KB articles on the topic.  It it were on a network then there is a registry hack to bind two security tokens together but that does not apply in this environment. 

I was gonna buy Beersmith but was a little put off for the time being. Does it work with Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit?

Ultimate edition has some of the characteristics as Windows Professional plus additional features.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions#Comparison_chart is a detailed comparison chart.

Of interest to me was the ability to join a domain and run the XP emulation mode for non compliant applications.  The group policy capability for Windows Professional coupled with some KB articles suggest that the OS uses an enhanced SSID token system for some actions.  That may be affecting this problem, I do not know. 

In any case, I would purchase the product.  Mr. Smith will eventually fix the program but you will benefit form starting to use it now.  There is a learning curve associated with the software so starting now will help you brew better beer --  and that is what we all want. 

Back