• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

To mill or not to mill

cowboy up

Brewer
Reaction score
I am in the process of putting together a recipe for my first rye beer or Roggenbier. My question is that because the rye malt is huskless, do I or should I run the malt through my grain mill? Would it be a good idea to crack the huskless grain?  Thanks, Cowboy Up!!

You have to mill it, or you won't get much of anything out of it. I would recommend a protein rest and/or rice hulls ( or something else to aid in creating a filter bed, because as you stated rye has no husk material ). I made a rye beer once with rice hulls, and no protein rest. 10 hours into the lauter I wished I had done a protein rest ( It was a 1,000 gallon batch so that's why the lauter took so long. Though I'm not sure it would have been much faster with a 10 gallon batch ).

Darin

Thanks Darin, Sorry it took so long to get back to the posting. Been pretty busy and I haven't brewed the rye beer yet, so your help is timely and greatly appreciated.  :)      Cowboy Up!

Back