Author Topic: yeast pricing  (Read 4301 times)

Offline MaltLicker

• Global Moderator
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
    • Blue Ribbon Brews
yeast pricing
« on: November 25, 2009, 09:42:12 AM »
Does anyone know why the Fermentis Safale/Safbrew yeasts have increased in price so much, some approaching the price of liquid yeast?   And the Nottingham/Windsor from Danstar remain reasonably priced at ~$1.50 from most online sources? 

Safales were always higher, but they've really gone up over the past year. 

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/brewing-ingredients/yeast?yst_manufacturer=171

Offline SOGOAK

Re: yeast pricing
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 07:48:45 AM »
Around here they are $3 and smackpacks and white tubes are $7-8
Good Recipe, Good Ingredients, Good Procedure, Good Sanitation = Good Brew.

Offline Rep

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 07:49:39 AM »
Does anyone know why the Fermentis Safale/Safbrew yeasts have increased in price so much, some approaching the price of liquid yeast?   And the Nottingham/Windsor from Danstar remain reasonably priced at ~$1.50 from most online sources? 

Safales were always higher, but they've really gone up over the past year. 

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/brewing-ingredients/yeast?yst_manufacturer=171

I don't know the answer, but I wonder if there is a corelation between the increase in yeast price and the rise in views of forums that highlight yeast washing.

A good grad student study IMHO.   ;D

Offline SleepySamSlim

• Barley Engineer
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 12:13:38 PM »
Around here they are $3 and smackpacks and white tubes are $7-8

Yeah - about the same here in the NW. Although I've seen at a couple of LBS I've seen Fermentis marked up to $4.50. Normally I pay between $3 - $3.50. That said I think Fermentis S04 and S05 are great yeasts and I cannot recall a single batch that did not ferment down to a decent FG. That is not the case for other dry yeasts I've used and that includes doing sprinkle and go or re hydrating where fermenting might stall at 1.020 - 1.025.

So in my view Fermentis is currently a "Cadillac dried yeast" and a price around $3 is OK. But as to the actual reason they've raised their prices no idea   
Some people tell you the old walkin' blues ain't bad
Worst old feelin' that I've ever had ...
-Robert Johnson