• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

yeast pricing

MaltLicker

Forum Moderator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Does anyone know why the Fermentis Safale/Safbrew yeasts have increased in price so much, some approaching the price of liquid yeast?  And the Nottingham/Windsor from Danstar remain reasonably priced at ~$1.50 from most online sources? 

Safales were always higher, but they've really gone up over the past year. 

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/brewing-ingredients/yeast?yst_manufacturer=171

MaltLicker said:
Does anyone know why the Fermentis Safale/Safbrew yeasts have increased in price so much, some approaching the price of liquid yeast?   And the Nottingham/Windsor from Danstar remain reasonably priced at ~$1.50 from most online sources? 

Safales were always higher, but they've really gone up over the past year. 

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/brewing-ingredients/yeast?yst_manufacturer=171

I don't know the answer, but I wonder if there is a corelation between the increase in yeast price and the rise in views of forums that highlight yeast washing.

A good grad student study IMHO.   ;D

SOGOAK said:
Around here they are $3 and smackpacks and white tubes are $7-8

Yeah - about the same here in the NW. Although I've seen at a couple of LBS I've seen Fermentis marked up to $4.50. Normally I pay between $3 - $3.50. That said I think Fermentis S04 and S05 are great yeasts and I cannot recall a single batch that did not ferment down to a decent FG. That is not the case for other dry yeasts I've used and that includes doing sprinkle and go or re hydrating where fermenting might stall at 1.020 - 1.025.

So in my view Fermentis is currently a "Cadillac dried yeast" and a price around $3 is OK. But as to the actual reason they've raised their prices no idea 

Back