• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

How do you get the Red color in an Irish Red?

stevemwazup

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
    I just kegged an Irish Red Ale, extract kit from More Beer. ( I haven't bought a mash tun cooler for all grain yet )
I think the beer taste good but the color is off, it's more of a brown color the srm is around 20 to 23.
I just wanted to ask how to get the Red color in an Irish Red Ale?

This is the recipe I received in the kit.
7 lbs Ultra light Extract malt
1 lbs Crystal 120L
8 oz. Aromatic
8oz. Caramunich
2oz. Black Roasted
2oz. Special B

Maybe someone has a recipe that they would like to share?
Thanks
stevemwazup

Well I'm still looking and working on a Red recipe myself - from what I've seen a medium crystal malt can produce a coppery color and caramunich specifically will add a coppery color. Looking at your recipe the Black Roasted would add some dark tones ...

Also depends on what kind of Red do you want - traditional Irish red - or a red ale with some special style / focus. There is a carared grain to impart red color. I'm working thru Jamils book on Brewing Classic Styles (lots of little historical nuggets in there) his traditional Irish Red is basically

6 - 7lb light LME

crystal 40    6 oz
crystal 120    6 oz
roasted barley  6 oz

Goldings hops  to 25 IBU

So that is pretty simple and using the LME and the crystal for the color --- I've not brewed this but will tweak it for mini-mash and try it some time.

Steve
The roasted barley gives the red color in JZ's (and traditional recipes).  It also helps provide the slightly dry finish of the style. 
In your recipe (from Morebeer), I am unsure what they mean by "black roasted."  If that is black patent, I would replace that with roasted barley.
Comparing the two recipes, Morebeer has 18 oz of 120L-plus grains, and another 16 oz of aromatic and caramunich at 20L to 45L, whereas JZ has only 12 oz of a 80L blend. 

http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style09.php#1d
Overall Impression: An easy-drinking pint. Malt-focused with an initial sweetness and a roasted dryness in the finish.
Ingredients:  Generally has a bit of roasted barley to provide reddish color and dry roasted finish. UK/Irish malts, hops, yeast.

Thanks guys for your reply,
I'm going to try that recipe from JZ's book, thanks for posting it.
stevemwazup

A few more specifics on JZs Irish Red

OG  1.054
FG  1.014

SRM  17

And he only does one hopping charge (60 min) to keep hop presence low ---- for me I might switch it up and add .25 - .4 hops for 20 min for just a little hop flavor

Yeasts      WLP004    or    Wyeast 1084  or  Fermentis S04

Enjoy and report back on what you get.

Thanks for the info, I'll be brewing in about 2 weeks and post the results around kegging time.
thanks SleepySam.
stevemwazup

Back