• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Lambic anyone?

Chas at Tahoe

Master Brewer
Reaction score
My sistar says her favorite beer is a LAMBIC.  The style is not in Beersmith.  Can anyone tell me what it is?

Lambic beer is produced by spontaneous fermentation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambic

Hmmmm.  Doesn't look like it's even remotely reproducible. Welp, that gets me off the hook.  haha.  ;)

Thanks for your reply.

Try the roselare blend from wyeast. It makes a great lambic.

Darin

Looked up roselare and don't think I want to wait 18 months to then blend with a younger batch.  Don't have any oak barrels.

I think I'll tell my sister that it's impossible to make anywhere but Europe.  8)

the wihi page on Lambic says: "Unlike conventional ales and lagers, which are fermented by carefully cultivated strains of brewer's yeasts, lambic beer is instead produced by spontaneous fermentation: it is exposed to the wild yeasts and bacteria that are said to be native to the Senne valley, in which Brussels lies. It is this unusual process which gives the beer its distinctive flavour: dry, vinous, and cidery, with a slightly sour aftertaste."

So  if that's true, the explanation that  you can only make it there is pretty spot on.

Back