• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

folder gone! please help

C

chrisb

I have been using BeerSmith on my Vista laptop for some time now.  Every once in a while I hit the "newopts14.opts issue" but other than that everything has been smooth until yesterday.

I created three folders under BeerSmith -> Views -> My Recipes.  The folders were "Actual Brews", "In Progress", and "Locked Examples".  I have been working on or updating recipes in each folder for months with great success.  Yesterday, my "Actual Brews" folder flat out disappeared.  I expanded the entire tree but it does not look like the folder was moved anywhere.  I checked the BeerSmith and Windows Recycle Bins but the missing folder is not in either.  I also tried restarting BeerSmith and Windows with no luck.

I'm not sure if I should try the File -> Recover Table option yet and I'm a bit concerned that the folder could blink away like that.  Fortunately I make regular backups of everything but it's still frustrating to lose a month or so of recipes.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks-
chrisb

Chris,
  Start by making a full backup of the BeerSmith directory.  That way you won't lose what you already have.

Second - have you changed your user settings recently?  For example if you change your user access control settings under windows, Vista will actually move the location the files are stored in.  If so you can change them back and everything will likely be OK.

You can try manually opening the Recipes.bsm file in the BeerSmith directory.  You can also open the ".bak" files as if they were bsm files.

Check the directory: C:\Users\{USERNAME}\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\BeerSmith where {USERNAME} is your login.  Sometimes Vista will store the Recipes.bsm file here depending on user permissions.

I suspect you may have changed user permissions.

Cheers,
Brad

Brad-

Thank you for the quick and helpful response! 

To the best of my knowledge, no user permissions were changed. 

In any event, I was able to File -> Import the Recipe_1.bak file and got probably 95% of my recipes back.

Thanks again-
Chris

Well this did work for me.  My corporate IT guy changed User Access Control.  But it was all there!  I guess I should make a back-up now while I'm still reeling from the thought that I'd lost it all.

Thanks as well.

I have some regular dvds on my laptop and I would like to copy them to watch on my dvd player at home but every time I use nero it doesnt work. Can some one help please, not a pro at this...lol

This forum is about beer, Brewing software, and brewing processes. Sorry no help here.

Cheers
Preston

Back