• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Six row vs Two row barley

stoloma

Apprentice
Reaction score
I have the opportunity to get a mix of 70% six row and 30% two row for free. (No, I'm sorry I can't get you any)    :)
Would there be a noticeable difference in most beers between using this mix vs just two row. I'm not talking brewing to style just making decent beer. I'm fairly new to AG so this would sure make it easier to do some experimenting.

Thank

Mark 

I would say go for it, its free and it will make good beer!  ;D

So what would the difference be? Well 6 row will have more enzymatic power (More enzymes than 2 row), the downside to this is there will be more protein in the wort. This will allow you to use larger amounts of adjuncts that are low in enzymes like: crystal, Rye, Oats, etc. This will also mean that you will most likely have chill haze and may need to use a clarifying agent like gelatin.

Cheers
Preston

I've got lots of other things to get down pat before I worry too much about chill haze.

Mark

Experiment with dark styles and you won't notice any chill haze as much.  ;)

With the $50 saved on free grain, invest in a
<a href="http://www.ebrew.com/wort_chillers/regular_immersion_wort_chiller.htm">wort chiller</a> if you don't have one.  If you have a chiller, look at cheap sump pumps to push ice water thru the chiller for better, faster cooling that really "breaks out" the unwanted proteins.  Speedy chilling vastly improves every batch and specifically reduces chill haze. 

Since you're experimenting, you could also attempt a protein rest at ~125F before hitting the sacch rest temps.  Do it once, and skip it once and see if you notice a worthwhile difference in clarity, efficiency or taste. 

I have a wort chiller but the ice water idea sounds like a good idea. Our well water is cold, and getting colder here in Wisconsin (+3º tonight). By mid winter it should be around 45º. So add ice and the temps should really drop!
I'll also try the protein rest.

Thanks for all the advice

Mark

the two row will likely be much less modified at the genetic level necessitating that you learn about decoction mashing and get used to double step infusions with a 30 minute protein rest at  125 - 130 Deg F.

Decoction is easy. In a nutshell  you just swipe some of the grain  (or set it aside 'cause you want to decoct certain grains)  from the tun and boil it a bit to dissolve starches & proteins
you'll need a 3 gallon decoction pot if brewing a 5 gallon batch.
You add the decocted grain back to the tun to make all those dissolved starches available to the enzymes that might not have otherwise been available.
Just watch the  add back temps to make sure you don't over heat the Tun past the Enzyme's tolerance.
Top it out at about 150 F

Are you sure you can't get me any free too ;) ;D j/k

I haven't used 6-row but I would definately say for you to try it.  I'm sure I will sometime or another.  Good luck, I'm sure the beer will turn out great.

Back