• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

First time brew

S

swinkl

This is my first time brewing,
I just racked into my second fermenter, my recipe says to leave it there for a week.  I tasted it as I was racking, it was extremely bitter and did not really taste like beer.  Is this normal?

It is possible that this is normal, depending on the recipe. Can you post your recipe, Origional gravity (OG), Yeast strain, and how the brewday went? That will help us determine what's going on.

Cheers
Preston

Pale Ale
American Pale Ale
Type: All Grain  Date: 12/2/2009
Batch Size: 5.00 gal  Brewer: Shlomo
Boil Size: 1.60 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min  Equipment: Shlomo's Equipment
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0  Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0
Taste Notes:

Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
6 lbs 9.6 oz Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Grain 86.8 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 13.2 %
2.50 oz Cascade [5.50%] (60 min) Hops 23.7 IBU
1.00 oz
Goldings, B.C. [5.00%] (Dry Hop 3
days)
Hops -
1 Pkgs British Ale (Wyeast Labs #1098) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.041 SG  Measured Original Gravity: 1.020 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.010 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.0 %  Actual Alcohol by Vol: 1.9 %
Bitterness: 23.7 IBU Calories: 85 cal/pint
Est Color: 8.5 SRM Color:
Color

Mash Profile
Mash Name: Single Infusion,
Full Body
Total Grain Weight: 7.60 lb
Sparge Water: 0.00 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment:
TRUE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 9.50 qt of water at 174.0 F 158.0 F 45 min
Mash Out Add 3.80 qt of water at 198.0 F 168.0 F 10 min

Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well
modified grains (about 95% of the time)

Brew Day went smoothly, I used Ice to make up some of the water b\c my brew pot was too small and need to both cool it fast and add more water but I used too much so I had to cover it and leave it over night to heat up.

I would say you are on the low end of the style range. I'm not a big hophead and the bitterness is usually to much for me for this style. If you look at the bitterness ratio (BR), you can predict how bitter the beer will be. I usually adjust my BR down from what the style indicates. My pales usually come in around .280, and yours being around .400 would indicate it to be more bitter than my tastes. You can adjust this by changing the types/amounts of the hops and when you add them.

Once it carbonates in the bottle, it will change. And it may be fine, just watch the BR and adjust accordingly. It is a learning process after all.

Cheers
Preston

Thanks so much. You put my mind at ease.  It was less the bitterness as it did not really taste like beer or feel like it.

Is that measured Orig Gravitey correct? 1.020?  That is REALLY light.  That would explain why is just tasted like bitter water, not enough sugars to balance the hops.  (Plus I agree that too much bitterness for my taste...)

well that explains it then.  I think that may have been a problem with the mashing.  But the mash tasted really really sweet

If the mashed grains tasted sweet after the mash was drained, then you left the sugars in the grains.  My grains are flavorless after I've sparged.  Recheck that you got your temperatures right, I've had bad efficiency because I goofed the water temp.

Wait, its designed as all grain, but you have extract in the list?  How does that work?

I did not taste the grains I just drank the mash. Was very sweet and refreshing

Excuse my confusion... the recipe states
"6 lbs 9.6 oz Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Grain 86.8 %

and so I don't get the mashing references. If indeed it was 6.5 lbs of grain, it would be real light.... perhaps 1020 and thus like bitter water.  But if it was extract, as stated, then the gravity should have been much higher.

But to balance out the bitterness (next time) try adding copious amounts of hops at between 20 and 1 minute before flame out. This will add a LOT of flavor and nose.

well then that explains everything.  it was an extract recipe originally but I could not get my hands on any extract so I went with all grain. Beersmith said it converted it but I guess it did not.  what would you recommend is a proper weight of grain for this kind of recipe?

I guess I would keep adding grains to the bill (in beersmith), and watch the Estimated OG until the OG is close to what it would have been for the extract version properly done.

I get asked that a lot, "just how much grain does it take to equal the contributions of X amount of Extract", and I don't think there is a difinative answer, but I think on the order of 2-3 times (weight) of grain per pound of extract  is a good guess. I am talking about LME, not DME. DME is a little higher yet pound for pound..

swinkl said:
well then that explains everything.  it was an extract recipe originally but I could not get my hands on any extract so I went with all grain. Beersmith said it converted it but I guess it did not.  what would you recommend is a proper weight of grain for this kind of recipe?

In your original post you noted you are a first time brewer.  With all due respect, please consider brewing a batch that you do not piece together.  Find a simple style that you enjoy drinking.  Look at the recipe data base found within beersmith.  Find a recipe by a well bonjour or beersmith/Brad himself.  A recipe that is well tried and true. 

When I was just starting out it was the process I needed to learn.  That, and dialing my own equipment and procedures into that process.  Learn the ropes and you will soon be brewing well.

+1 rep. Don't get discouraged, do make something foolproof.  Here is why: the secret to brewing is (drumroll) good recipee, good ingredients, good sanitation, good procedure.

I am not proud to say I made great beer after drinking too much because I had those things down.

Seriously, hit a home run with a pale ale and then try dialing in the software.

Naturally, post ANY questions. Because there is 20% info, tips, etc. You can ONLY get from veterans.

swinkl said:
Boil Size: 1.60 gal

6 lbs 9.6 oz Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Grain 86.8 %
2.50 oz Cascade [5.50%] (60 min)

Est Original Gravity: 1.041 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.010 SG

Bitterness: 23.7 IBU

Brew Day went smoothly, I used Ice to make up some of the water b\c my brew pot was too small and need to both cool it fast and add more water but I used too much so I had to cover it and leave it over night to heat up.

Welcome to a fun hobby. 

Brewing is easy enough, but it sure helps to see it done a few times.  If you have a local home brew club, or even a not-so-local club, reach out in your community and try to find a brewer that would have you over once to see the whole thing.  http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/directories/find-a-club

Starting out, extract recipe kits are the way to go.  And getting BeerSmith was wise as it really helps with the learning curve.  Over time, you'll learn the settings you must enter to get the results you want.  (Here your boil size is quite small; if your pot is really that small, you need a larger one.) 

If you don't have a no-rinse sanitizer, try <a href="http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/star-san.html">Star-San</a>, and keep in mind that once you stop boiling, everything that touches the wort should be sanitized, including water and ice. 

swinkl said:
This is my first time brewing,
I just racked into my second fermenter, my recipe says to leave it there for a week.  I tasted it as I was racking, it was extremely bitter and did not really taste like beer.  Is this normal?

Sorry, I really did not answer your post earlier.

When determining what to do with beer, moving it, bottling it or kegging it is the gravity reading from your hydrometer that tells you when.  Not a calendar or a recipe.  Take two readings at least 24 hours apart.  If they both register the same, your wort is now beer.

Taking a taste of a beer in a fermentor or from a bottling bucket is something we all do.  I think it is actually a requirement for the hobby.  :D

But beware, that is young beer.  Time is actually one of our good friends.  And with time, some off tastes will disappear or mellow.  What you probably tasted is normal.

So often with new brewers the yeast is pitched to a wort that has not been cooled to below oh, 70F or so.  Or, the temperature in the fermentation area is too warm.  That will provide some off flavors as well.  Read up a bit about temp control is my advice.

You made good beer I would think.

Welcome to BeerSmith - a great forum and a great tool. Some of these comments might not be what you want to hear - but in deed many are spot on. Specifically that of starting with both a known good recipe and starting with an Extract and specialty grains approach. Steeping your specialty grains add color and flavor - and then you proceed with boiling - adding extract + hops - ferment - secondary - and bottle or keg. You will be much better off doing several different extract brews that will produce good to great ales - versus turning out some marginal all-grain batches.

Good process and sanitation are key parts to producing a great beer. Check with your local brew shops for their extract kits or favorite recipes. And be sure to get a complete ingredient list so you can practice entering it into beersmith. You can brew in smaller pots - but your best bet is to round up a 5gal stock-pot (look for Christmas sales) - with a 5gal pot your can brew about 3.5gal of wort and then top that off to 5Gal in your fermenter. My wife really enjoys cooking so we bought a nice heavy stainless steel 5gal stock pot ... she has a nice pot for stews and soups and I get to brew beer. And I give a +1 to StarSan - its a true no rinse sanitizer.

Back