• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

alt vs american amber

Wildrover

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I've been in a constant quest to find a good recipe for a nice malty amber beer.  I'm of the opinion that an American Amber should be more malt focused as opposed to hop focused the way IPA's and APA often are.  I know others like a hoppy ambers but I just don't.  Having said all that, a good amber recipe, to this point has escaped me.  So, I've been reading and I notice that Alaskaian Brewing's Amber is actually an alt and seems to be a popular one though I've never had it.  It got me to thinking, might me desire for a nice malty amber lie more in a German Alt as opposed to a malty American Amber?

Great question, I feel the same way about wanting a malty Amber.  Can't wait for the answers...

I have an American Amber I use as a house beer.  I have been thinking of adding a bit of buiscuit, or, victory malt to  the amber and maybe I could come up with a Fat Tire type of beer.

Maybe find a Fat Tire clone.  That may be right up your alley.

My friend specializes in the amber hybrids (NorthGerm alt, cal common, and dussel alt) so I get to drink more of those than many people.  Since he has started decocting the maltiness has risen a lot.  We also have a new microbrewery in town that does only German beers and their main brew is an alt, also decocted. 

Their recipe is fairly simple 80/20 pils and munich, with a 1-2% dose of caramunich to reach copper color. 

Per the alt style, there is a pronounced bitterness that may not be what you want, but as far as the base recipe and yeast choices leading to a malty brew, alts are great.  I'd recommend you look for Northern German alt recipes and modify the bittering ratio (BU:GU) to suit your tastes. 

JZ calls for 8% munich, 8% mix of caramunich, pale choc, carafa special (debittered), and 85% pils with a single bittering of Magnum for 32 IBU on a 1.050 OG, so BU:GU of 0.64. 

Hybrid yeasts ferment around 60F and typically do not flocc well, so they take longer to clear in secondary.

Try this recipe. It's an Irish Red, brewed with lot's of belgian malts and a california ale yeast. It's BJ's Jeremiah Red ( not a clone, the actual recipe scaled down ). Very malty and just a hint of hops.

Darin

Attachments

• JeremiahRed.bsm
    12 KB · Views: 77
Darin,

Thanks for the recipe!  I used to eat at BJ's all the time when lived in Florida, I'll certainly add this recipe t the queue.

Thanks again

WR

p.s.  how did you get that recipe anyway, no worries if its top secret I'll have to kill you if I tell you type stuff

Darin was a Professional brew-master for BJ's. I'm sure he is hording more recipes... :p Maybe over the years we will get more of them out... Till then "We wait"!

Patiently waiting  ;D

Cheers
Preston

Anyone try this one?  It looks a little different than some of the others I've seen online for BJ's Jeremiah.  Darin - did you really work for BJ's?

Back