Author Topic: alt vs american amber  (Read 6567 times)

Offline Wildrover

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
alt vs american amber
« on: December 07, 2009, 12:55:44 PM »
I've been in a constant quest to find a good recipe for a nice malty amber beer.  I'm of the opinion that an American Amber should be more malt focused as opposed to hop focused the way IPA's and APA often are.  I know others like a hoppy ambers but I just don't.  Having said all that, a good amber recipe, to this point has escaped me.  So, I've been reading and I notice that Alaskaian Brewing's Amber is actually an alt and seems to be a popular one though I've never had it.  It got me to thinking, might me desire for a nice malty amber lie more in a German Alt as opposed to a malty American Amber?

Offline Beer_Tigger

• Global Moderator
  • Grrrrrrrrrrrrr baby! Very Grrrrr!!!
Re: alt vs american amber
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 02:52:54 PM »
Great question, I feel the same way about wanting a malty Amber.  Can't wait for the answers...
"Let's see if this here beer will help me to stop procrastinating." - my cousin

Offline Rep

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 02:53:10 PM »
I have an American Amber I use as a house beer.  I have been thinking of adding a bit of buiscuit, or, victory malt to  the amber and maybe I could come up with a Fat Tire type of beer.

Maybe find a Fat Tire clone.  That may be right up your alley.

Offline SOGOAK

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 05:01:51 PM »
I'd enjoy this too
Good Recipe, Good Ingredients, Good Procedure, Good Sanitation = Good Brew.

Offline MaltLicker

• Global Moderator
    • Blue Ribbon Brews
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 06:29:23 AM »
My friend specializes in the amber hybrids (NorthGerm alt, cal common, and dussel alt) so I get to drink more of those than many people.  Since he has started decocting the maltiness has risen a lot.  We also have a new microbrewery in town that does only German beers and their main brew is an alt, also decocted. 

Their recipe is fairly simple 80/20 pils and munich, with a 1-2% dose of caramunich to reach copper color. 

Per the alt style, there is a pronounced bitterness that may not be what you want, but as far as the base recipe and yeast choices leading to a malty brew, alts are great.  I'd recommend you look for Northern German alt recipes and modify the bittering ratio (BU:GU) to suit your tastes. 

JZ calls for 8% munich, 8% mix of caramunich, pale choc, carafa special (debittered), and 85% pils with a single bittering of Magnum for 32 IBU on a 1.050 OG, so BU:GU of 0.64. 

Hybrid yeasts ferment around 60F and typically do not flocc well, so they take longer to clear in secondary.

dhaenerbrewer

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 07:20:29 PM »
Try this recipe. It's an Irish Red, brewed with lot's of belgian malts and a california ale yeast. It's BJ's Jeremiah Red ( not a clone, the actual recipe scaled down ). Very malty and just a hint of hops.

Darin

Offline Wildrover

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 08:38:49 AM »
Darin,

Thanks for the recipe!  I used to eat at BJ's all the time when lived in Florida, I'll certainly add this recipe t the queue.

Thanks again

WR

p.s.  how did you get that recipe anyway, no worries if its top secret I'll have to kill you if I tell you type stuff

Offline UselessBrewing

• Useless Brewing
    • Useless Brewing
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 11:24:03 AM »
Darin was a Professional brew-master for BJ's. I'm sure he is hording more recipes... :P Maybe over the years we will get more of them out... Till then "We wait"!

Patiently waiting  ;D

Cheers
Preston
The woodpecker pecks, Not to annoy, But to survive!

Offline OhioMurb

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 06:32:46 PM »
Anyone try this one?  It looks a little different than some of the others I've seen online for BJ's Jeremiah.  Darin - did you really work for BJ's?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 06:40:43 PM by OhioMurb »

modification