• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Fermentation Problems! Please Help!

S

SpyFratBrewingCo

An Intermediate brewer, teaching friends how to brew. This problem has happened once so far, this is the second time.

Problem: Fermentation is extremely strong and is frothing up and bubbling out all the water and froth out of the "S shaped stopper".

I have tried replacing the S shaped stopper a few times. Within 30 - 60 minutes it starts to bubble over and the water disappears out of the stopper. Were in Colorado, and they tell us that 6.5 Gal. Carboys dont exist. Bullshit. Im from California and I only own 6.5 Gal. Glass carboys and 5gal carboys. There is about 3/4 Gal of room in the 6 gallon Carboy. The beer is fermenting like crazy. Like outter space inside the Carboy.

Someone please tell me what is going on and why. Im in CO at 5100ft instead of 0 sea level. The "professionals" at the brew shop said that the only difference between the elevation is the boiling temperature.

Someone please explain to me whats going on and why. I cant seem to find the right words to put into a search to help find my answers.

Thank you,

Jeremy

You have a great fermentation going on.  The only issue is it is creating more CO2 than the S-lock can release (i.e., "bottle-neck.")  During the first three days when ferms are this active, many brewers use a "blow-off" tube, which is often just 1-inch diameter tubing jammed into carboy and the other end is in a large volume of sanitizer.  Once the major activity has passed, switch to a 3-piece airlock or your S-lock. 

I've noticed quite a bit variance in different yeasts' likelihood to need a blow-off tube.  Nottingham dry, for ex, usually has a one-inch krausen and has never been higher than that for me. 

"Most likely" it is Temperature related. Warm fermentation temps will usually do that, but as ML stated different yeasts can act differently. Always try to stay at the bottom of the yeast's fermentation range.

Cheers
Preston

I have the 6gallon "mexican" (no dimples) carboys and use 1 1/4" 0D blow offs

Just a note of caution, you stated all the "water" from the 'S' shaped airlock was gone.  It should be Voldka, not water.  This is because Voldka will kill any bugs from the outside air that manage to get into the airlock.  Soemtimes the liquid in the airlock can go back into the carboy and you don't want bugs.

Back