• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Buying Bags of Grain

stevemwazup

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
    I have a few questions about buying bags of grain. (55 lbs)
What are some high end and low end brands out there? (Better ingredients make better beer?)
Which malts are good to have on hand, when putting an order together?
Or any other advice you would like to share?
stevemwazup

Thomas faucet Maris Otter is considered by some to be the best 2-row pale base malt.  There are other great brands.  I think you want a 50-55lb bag of 2-row and pils.  Then 5lbs bags of specailty malts that are popular like biscuit, crystal 60L carapils, munich.

My advice is to seek out a local brew club.  You may get a discount from the local shops if you are a member.  I get a 10% discount on all ingredients/equipment from Northern Brewery, Midwest Brewing supplies, Wind River and Caps N Cork in Eau Claire, WI.  I live within an hour of all of the shops and have never paid shipping.  Yes, I am a very lucky brewer.

If I had the room, I would buy in bulk but I don't. I would say base malts would be the way to go, and any specialty malts you could pickup at LBS. That's what I would do anyhow.

As far as the brand goes, I would look at organic before I went with a brand name. I do believe better ingredients make better beer, so chemical free ingredients would be where I would start.  I have been eyeballing these guys for a while http://www.breworganic.com . It just seems like a great idea.

Cheers
Preston

Thanks guys for the input. I think the local brew club is a great idea. I'm going to be joining the one here in town this month. I've gone to a couple of their club meetings and events and they are a great bunch of guys and gals. I'll have to ask if they get a discount on their group orders.
What are some of the base malt brands you guys are using out there?

Thanks again
stevemwazup

stevemwazup said:
     Thanks guys for the input. I think the local brew club is a great idea. I'm going to be joining the one here in town this month. I've gone to a couple of their club meetings and events and they are a great bunch of guys and gals. I'll have to ask if they get a discount on their group orders.
What are some of the base malt brands you guys are using out there?

Thanks again
stevemwazup

You are welcome and good luck.

I use Briess two row and have some Rahrs Pilsner.  A Vienna malt for a base is in my future.  That will probably be Briess as well.

One other thing.  A local brew club may also give you the option of splitting a bag of grain.  You may have room for 10lbs.  By purchasing it with others you can still get the bulk rates.

I wanted to order three lbs of hops the other day.  I offered to front the purchase for members in my club and I ended up ordering ten lbs.  We will all share in the shipping cost.  But more importantly it builds relationships and strengthens the club.

What about a group yeast farm?  Purchase Star San by the case lot?  You get the picture.

Rep the yeast farm is great.

You live pretty close to briese don't you?

We had an education session last month on base grains, and we had samples on hand to chew and taste. 

The differences were stark and dramatic.  If you have a LHBS, taste a few grains every time you go.  German Munich vs Briess Munich, Vienna vs Vienna, Maris Otter vs basic 2-row, etc.  It's another way to really fine-tune a beer to suit your tastes. 

SOGOAK said:
Rep the yeast farm is great.

You live pretty close to briese don't you?

Briese is maybe 200 miles from me.  I grew up in the Green Bay area.  Back in the 60's we had a Rahrs brewery near where I lived.  All Wisconsin towns had a brewery. 

MaltLicker said:
We had an education session last month on base grains, and we had samples on hand to chew and taste. 

The differences were stark and dramatic.  If you have a LHBS, taste a few grains every time you go.  German Munich vs Briess Munich, Vienna vs Vienna, Maris Otter vs basic 2-row, etc.  It's another way to really fine-tune a beer to suit your tastes. 

Yes Malt Licker....some even talk about a malt tea to mix up and use as a tasting device.

I like the idea of tasting the grains, I'll have to go chew on some grains next time I'm in my local brew shop.
stevemwazup

Steve, looks like you live in the Eugene area.

I get my malts from a shop in Hillsboro, OR - not to far from you.

They have the best prices on grain and hops that I've seen.

For example 50lb sacks of 2-Row go for $33.

Check them out!

http://www.brewbrothers.biz/

cheers

Sickbrew, that is great news. I'm going to check out my clubs group prices, but I'm definitely going to check out the place in Hillsborow. Thanks for the great info.
stevemwazup

Back