• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Questions

jasonk

Apprentice
Reaction score
I have a couple of questions about using beer smith. 1st, is the hop calculator set up for pellet or whole cone hops? Can it do both? 2nd, the calculator for priming using a keg doesn't give the option for using malt instead of sugar. Is there a way around this? Thanks to anyone who can help.

I don't think it matters. It matters to me whether I use flowers or pellets but the quantum of  critical constituents in pellets or whole flowers is  supposed to be identical.  So there's no reason to try to engineer software that will differentiate. I suppose you could but once down that road it might also be an issue where - exactly - the hops were grown.  Are Cascade the same is grown in up state NY as they are in Oregon?  What about which side of the mountain  in Oregon?

For $20.00 a pop  I don't imagine that the software engineers would be nearly so granular.

The hop calculator is very flexible in a number of ways - as to type is handles pellet - plug - and loose leafs. And adjusts bittering effect for each type.
The carb calculator has a setting for using dried malt

BeerSmith is a very useful program - good luck with your brewing

Back