• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

santa brought me a refractometer!

SOGOAK

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I am excited and have the general "101" down, but I always learn from more experienced brewers.  Any secrets! 

I love mine b/c I use it so often on brew day.  If you usually brew with a similar amount of grain, you can easily estimate the progress of the mash conversion.  Once the Brix hits that point and stops increasing, you know conversion is largely done.
And especially measuring pre-boil gravity and progress of the boil-down.  And the final runnings to see how efficiently you sparged. 
To make it easier to take samples, WMT has a four-pack of s/s condiment cups for 94 cents.  They work great for taking tiny samples and the s/s cools the wort very quickly.  Just drip some wort into the cup and let it cool before using.

that is exactly why I'm excited, sometimes it took soo long for hydro readings, i was onto the next step.

Back