• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Carboy Cleaning

sickbrew

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the rice or sand technique to clean carboys when a silly brush just doesn't get it done.  Obviously a good soak in PBW or other commercial products are great, but sometimes you just need a little extra friction.

cheers

I'm coming up on batch 20 and I secondary every batch in one of 2 glass carboys I have --- I really need 2 more --- but I have no issues with crud or gunk. I am meticulous at cleaning up immediately after an xfer - and everything gets stored clean. I use no-dye no-fragrance dish-soap and the dog-leg brush to scrub the carboy --- so far no issues.

And of course -- starsan - starsan - starsan 

+1 on cleaning up immediately after transfers and storing things clean.
That's what I do also. After use of any equipment, clean and store dry, then starsan when I need it.
stevemwazup

increase the bend on your carboy brush as you insert it.
That'll let you get the upper part of the carboy.

Hey,

Cleaning up immediately after racking and/or bottling is definitely important. It makes it easier to clean, AND it's a good habit. I always have some "Super Grunge Remover" close by. I soak about a tablespoon of the stuff in about a gallon of water, shake and it does a really good job removing crud.

--Chris

Back