• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Re-using yeast from a carboy

MaltLicker

Forum Moderator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I've never used a yeast cake or salvaged yeast from primary before, but today I poured the slurry into a Pyrex cup instead of dumping it.  I got 12 oz of a nice Belgian with which I'd made a smallish dubbel.  It fermed cool and I had a large starter, so I think the yeast was probably healthy enough to go again.

Assuming I'd kept it covered and sanitary, would I just pour that into a fresh wort?  Do you have to pre-treat a yeast slurry before pitching it again?  I know some people just siphon a new beer on the entire cake, but if you're changing carboys, are there any specific things that must be done first?  Thx.

U might enough to split.  If u reuse in a matter of days, just pitch.  Otherwise make a starter

Many wash out the trub with a distillation process using a sanitary water source. Basically add water, shake, refrigerate, wait and hour and decant fresh white yeast off the top and leave behind the trub.  Some do it twice.  I have used this method and have just re-pitched the whole concoction and haven't noticed any real difference.

sickbrew said:
Many wash out the trub with a distillation process using a sanitary water source. Basically add water, shake, refrigerate, wait and hour and decant fresh white yeast off the top and leave behind the trub.  Some do it twice.  I have used this method and have just re-pitched the whole concoction and haven't noticed any real difference.

This is what I do, cooled boiled water to, "wash" the trub out.  I do though make a starter to make certain I am pitching good yeast.

I have used washed yeast that are tree months old.

What type of container do you use for this?

What's your process for making a starter from this?

Thanks,

There was agreat article a while back in BYO, I took notes and even modified slightly.  Here's a short version of what I do (because I'm too lazy to do it right):

Boil 3/4 full mason/canning jar in microwave for a couple minutes.  
Sanitize the cover (because you have sanitizing solution in your secondary, right?)
Cover LOOSLEY and let cool to room temperature.
Rack primary to secondary.
Pour jar of water into primary, swirl gently.
Pour primary into mason jar to fill to 3/4 full.
Cover loosely.
Put in fridge up to 3 months.
On brew day, take out and place near cooking area so it gets warm.
You'll see the trub on the bottom start to bubble as it warms up, keep it from getting too warm.
Swirl it up when ready to pitch.

I only do that if I'm harvesting from a neutral beer, one without spices or super roasted grains.  Common sense rules, if I harvest from a stout, I could put it in a porter, etc.

Always had great success doing this.  The real way is to"wash" the yeast as hinted at by sickbrew.

Thanks, I'm going to add your comments to our notebook for future reference.

We will be starting again tomorrow and will go two batches with fresh yeast and discard for now. We will experiment with washing yeast on smaller batches to gauge our results prior to using it in a full batch.

Back