• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

new grain/new yeast/new result

SOGOAK

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Session before last I made up a nice session IPA.  I wanted a rich, full body brew.  I made about 10gal and split it on wy1272 california 3 and us 05.  I also used Maris Otter for the first time.  I believe my mash was 154 I don't have my notes in front of me and it wasn't my proudest BWI session.

Anyway- WOW either mash temp, that yeast, or the Maris Otter made that stuff copper liquid bread.  Taste is great, got my hops through, got carb, but it is like a meal in a bottle.  I still need to bottle age and try the us 05 half to see the contrast.

Anyone else notice huge body from 1272 or Maris Otter?

+1 on Maris Otter ----- MaltLicker has pounded that into my head  ;D

I'm just mini-mashing but I have to say that Maris Otter is a great base malt. Its in the red ale I'm currently brewing and I did a run of 3 types of English ales --- 2 had the otter and were outstanding. For my 20th batch I'm doing an English IPA .... yep Maris Otter.

I have a question about the Marris Otter IPA?  Would you make the same recipe the same or would you cut the Marris Otter with some pale malt? 
I've not used Marris Otter as of yet, but I hear it really is great to use, I just don't know how much people are using.
stevemwazup

Steve
I think it depends on your goal.  An English IPA could probably be mostly MO, with any specialty malts, whereas an American IPA is more hop-forward, so you could cut the base malt with some US 2-row. 

+1 this is what I have read/heard too.  I had a couple last night that aged out a bit and they are nice but still malty.  I guess I set out to make a really malty hoppy brew and succeeded.

What are some commercial examples that you guys have enjoyed, that use Marris Otter?
stevemwazup

Back