• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Entering New Recipe

noreaster

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm just learning how to use this software and getting ready to do my first all grain batch. I was wondering if there's a fairly easy way to import a new recipe and/or ingredients into this software. For example, I've ordered kits from Midwest and Northern and would like to enter them into Beersmith but I've found several times that Beersmith doesn't have all the same ingredients that the kit does. Does that mean I have to manually add whatever type of grain to the software that is included in the kit if it's not already listed? Plus I don't know all the information about the ingredients that the Beersmith software has associated with the ingredients it already has listed. (Does that make sense?  ???)

If this post makes sense, (I hope it does), I'd be happy to read any input. Thanks!

http://www.beersmith.com/support.htm

If you go to this page, on the bottom right are additional grain 'libraries' that you can download into your BSmith.  These are most the brands that major HBS carry. 

Add New Ingredients

Download grain extensions using the links on the right.  Open these files using the Import command, File menu, then copy and paste as desired into your BeerSmith grain database.

Alternately, access our online database of brewing ingredients including grains, hops, yeast, and water.

Also check out the new video tutorials:
  http://www.beersmith.com/Recipe/index.htm

There is also one there on how to import recipes...

Brad

I'll have to check them out closer. Another thing I tried to mention is there have been times where I didn't find the ingredient in the ingredient list on the software. I have one that calls for Summit hops and Simpsons Caramalt grain and they're not listed and I didn't see them on the list's I could download. What do you do then? Thanks!

Many of the specific manufacturer malts are available from the support page from the main BeerSmith.com page.

I don't have Summit handy, but you can easily add that to the database yourself as long as you know the alpha content of the hops.  There's also a video on how to add an ingredient on the videos page as well- its pretty easy to add your own.

Cheers,
Brad

Back