• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Soured Beer

mterm

Brewer
Reaction score
I have read a few articles on brewing with soured beer. This is the way that beers like Guinness get the tang in the flavor. To sour the beer just pour a beer of a similar style into a glass cover with cheese cloth and leave in a cool dark place for 3-4 days and this should sour the beer. Here is my question. I have read that the soured beer can be added to the boil or it can be added at bottling as long as it is boiled for 10-minutes and then added to the bottling bucket. Has anyone here brewed with soured beer. Which method is best for adding it and is the way to souring it correct.

Tsing Tsao is a company that buys bad beer and reprocesses it.
But isn't Sour Beer just beer that is brewed from wild yeasts in the same way that sour dough Bread is  made using wild yeasts??
And it takes like maybe  year to get a ferment really going.

As it regards wild yeast:
In the world of bread making  you can't just get your wild yeasts anywhere. The interesting ones are  specific to particular locales and not others.  In certain places the yeasts exist locally that impart to the bread interesting flavors.  Most  of the planet has crappy old dull uninteresting wild yeasts - from a bread making  perspective that is.

But yeast is just half the  battle in bread making.  You  need a balance of Lactobacilli to get the right sourdough flavor.
And I believe that people try to get some lactic acid in their beers probably exactly to try to get the lactobacilli going.

I wonder if sour beers have similar local only yeast  and lactobacilli issues?

Has anyone here brewed a stout using soured beer as an additive. If they have how did they get the soured beer and at what point in the brewing process was it added.

I noticed in the Beer Blog there is a blog titled "Soured Beer in Homebrewing" posted 08/11/2009 by Brad Smith. When you go to read the blog just the title appears on the page no article. Brad is it possible to re-post it I would be very interested in reading it.

Thanks,
Mark

Back