• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Batch sparge amount - after first run off?

pretzelb

Brewer
Reaction score
I'm trying the software and I entered my recipe with a simple batch sparge option and it shows me 4.98 gal at 168 degree. What I'm not sure if it means to add that after the first run off or after the mash. I guess this is more style and maybe outside the software but until I'm an expert I like to make this as easy to follow as possible.

Can you post your recipe.bsm file for us to look at? This will help us get you up and running.

Cheers
Preston

I'm not sure how to upload the file but here's a cut and paste below. I don't think it's necessary since it's more of a process question. As you can see, it lists the temp and amount of water but it doesn't explicitly list the steps when it comes to vorlauf, draining, mixing grains, adding water, and repeat.

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 8.76 lb
Sparge Water: 4.98 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 10.95 qt of water at 165.9 F 154.0 F

I batch sparge and struggled for many batches to get BeerSmith to calculate all of this for me.
In the end, I just couldn't be bothered messing about with all my equipment settings to get the actual results to agree with what I was being told by BeerSmith.

Now I heat my HLT to about 8ºC above my desired mash temperature, and slowly keep adding water to my mash until I reach my target temperature.
At the end of the mash I do my run off and measure how much I've collected, The difference between what I need for my preboil volume and what I've collected is what I need to add for my sparge water. Simple, and works for me.

This is not a criticism of BeerSmith, just that I've personally found I don't need to use this function of the program.

Back