• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Stainless steel scrubby filter

MaltLicker

Forum Moderator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I bought some s/s srubbies and rolled one over my inside out-spout of the boiler today, and man, what a difference.  The pile o' hops just piled on and acted like a huge filter.  The wort (SRM 7-8) looked like finished beer it was so clear.  And all that happened inside the boiler: the follow-up mesh bags caught hardly nothing. 

It as worked nicely for me for the most of my batches (more than 90%) but I recently hit two brew sessions where it partially clogged by a certain pellet hop.  Instead of taking 20 minutes to cool it took close to an hour... :mad:

Do you use a plate chiller?  I use an IC, but it did definitely slow down the draining from the kettle to the carboy. 

MaltLicker said:
Do you use a plate chiller?
CFC

I usually can go up to full throttle when chilling but this particular batches of Centennial pellets keep partially clogging the pickup tube with the SS scrubber.

I had problems with SS pad clogging.

Switched to a Bazooka T and use a nylon hop bag.

Clog proof, by definition!

cheers

Wouldn't the nylon bag suffice?  Any noticeable difference before and after?  Do you feel the hops are loose enough in the bag for a good contact?

It's a tempting solution... :-\

I use something similar to this: http://www.bayareamashers.org/gadgets/Hop%20bag%20holder.pdf (actually found the idea on HBT, but could not come up with a link to that). I used a brass rod that I had laying around instead of the big plastic tube. There is plenty of room in the bag for the hops to move a round. I have yet to notice any difference other than I don't worry about hops going into my primary... :)

Cheers
Preston

Back