• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Stainless steel - is it essential

macca

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi, I’m wondering how important it is that all the fittings etc are made of stainless steel .

I use a cooler as a mash tune and a big stainless steel pot as a boiler.  I use an Easymasher in the mash tun and the Easymasher fits onto a copper tube which sits inside the mash tun. It works very well but is not as secure as I’d like it to be. It’s secured to the cooler by a rubber bung which (as I found out) can easily be dislodged by clumsy sons.

So I am looking to replace the rubber bung method by making a stainless steel tube that will work just like the easymasher but will fit onto a brass ball valve that will fit securely into the cooler’s outlet.

Then I am planning to make a similar arrangement for the outlet from the boiler. But once again, the fittings at the local hardware store that could do the job are made of brass.

Is this an issue? Will the brass affect the wort in any way?

Brass rocks and that's what my fittings are made of.

Here's a fun little read on a comparison between brass and SS.

Brew on!

http://machinedesign.com/article/comparing-brass-versus-stainless-steel-threaded-inserts-1117

at the Mash?
Well lots of folks will tell you that it's just fine to use a brass ball valve ion a  mash tun. (I don
t know what an easymasher is.)

I use one on mine and haven't had any issues.
I  clean mine when I put it away and when I  take it out.
The down side to a conventional  ball valve  no matter what it's made from is that you can not easily disassemble it for cleaning.

ERGO: you will always have the risk of mold and other infection.  If some bit of nasty crap gets lodged in really well you may not expose it to the sanitizer you use when you work the valve during cleaning.

I suppose you could take it apart.  But they aren't made to be disassembled easily. I've never tried.

The Blickmann type valves are pretty cheap and  you can take 'em apart and clean 'em to your heart's content.
Any Sanitary valve is meant to come apart for cleaning. However the vast majority of them are very expensive.  I don't know why Blichmann's are cheaper

As it regards SST.  It's great stuff but it's not necessary.  You can use  a good Gott type cooler for a mash tun and you can boil in aluminum.

Amen.  I took my (typical s/s) ball valves apart after about six brews, and they're was plenty of gunk behind the ball.  I figured that was b/c it was six brews worth. 

Did it again after the next brew and found more gunk.  Now I take them apart and rinse and sanitize and let dry before reassembling.  Doesn't have to be brew day, but I recommend you do so before the next brew.

CR said:
The down side to a conventional  ball valve  no matter what it's made from is that you can not easily disassemble it for cleaning.

ERGO: you will always have the risk of mold and other infection.   If some bit of nasty crap gets lodged in really well you may not expose it to the sanitizer you use when you work the valve during cleaning.

I suppose you could take it apart.  But they aren't made to be disassembled easily. I've never tried.

If you are going to go SST  spend the extra couple bucks to get  sanitary valves.

Blickmann's are pretty good especially since they are cheap as hell.

Try googling "Sanitary Valve" and the industrial pricing  ($200 - $300 a pop)will drive you into the arms of blichmann.

When I was looking for SS valves I found some even cheaper than blichmann.
DuraChoice valves. I found them on directmaterial.com looks like you can also get them on amazon.

I find blichmann products to be very expensive compared to other brew suppliers. check out 3 piece SS valves from Ontariobeerkegs.com, even better is your local industrial supplier of SS fittings to food industries.

When you install a valve - brass or stainless - in your brew kettle, refer to "the electric brewery" for installation information. They have links to sources for high-temperature O-rings and other parts that provide excellent, reliable seals.

www.bargainfittings.com
www.brewhardware.com

3-piece SS 1/2 NPT valves, $18 (either place)

Plus, they have all your other needs for weldless kits, fittings, and hose as well.

Not affiliated.  But, its where everyone I know gets their stuff. 

Back