• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Baking bottles in oven

MaltLicker

Forum Moderator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
My dishwasher up and died on me, so no time like right now to try baking bottles.  Anyone?

Palmer says 340F for an hour?  Do you ramp it up at all, or just turn to 340 and it rises gradually enough?

Stand them vertically, or laid/stacked on side?  

How long does it take for cool-down before you can use them?   Could I bake before bed, turn off oven and bottle in AM?

Anything else I need to know?  

thx

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter2-2-3.html

Yah you can do it.

Put a bit of aluminum foil over the bottles  either individually or in bunches.
Take 'em up to 250 at least.  That's going to kill pretty much everything. 
Put them into a cold oven:
Hold for an hour and turn the oven down to 150 hold for an hour  turn the oven off  off and let it cool slowly. 
Don't open the oven door.  The sudden chill may weaken the bottles by introducing thermal shock.
If you have a well insulated oven you can skip the ramping to 150 and just  turn it off.

As an aside you can soak your bottles in a tub of  5 gallons water, 1 ounce chlorox, or any bleach, and 1 ounce of vinegar.
That should do it.

MaltLicker said:
My dishwasher up and died on me, so no time like right now to try baking bottles.  Anyone?

Palmer says 340F for an hour?  Do you ramp it up at all, or just turn to 340 and it rises gradually enough?

Stand them vertically, or laid/stacked on side? 

How long does it take for cool-down before you can use them?   Could I bake before bed, turn off oven and bottle in AM?

Anything else I need to know? 

thx

Why are you baking your bottles?

CR said:
Put a bit of aluminum foil over the bottles  either individually or in bunches.

I always kept the dishwasher sealed until I pulled all bottles out and put a sanitized cap on each.  If did same with oven, think I would have to worry about the foil cover on each bottle?  (I don't store 'clean' bottles.)  Presumably the entire oven would be heat-sanitized until opened to kitchen air. 

I also started shooting Star-San inside the bottle before placing into d/w.  I'd do same here, but likely put on bottle tree to allow to drain first.  Then fill oven. 

Sounds like extra work.  I use my jet carboy washer and the brush if needed and then iodophor soak and put them on the drying tree.

Easy and works great.

My dishwasher died on me, too. Still works as a drying tree, though.

I'm setting up a brewery in the basement. The old dishwasher will be the drying rack down there. I can hose it out and spray sanitizer in it - just remember to block the door open when you're not using it or you'll get mold fast.

Back