• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Aerating stones

Rep

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hi

I am awaiting the arrival of an aeration system using Oxygen.  I now recall having read somewhere that people had trouble keeping the 5 micron stone submerged.

Is this true, or did I just make this up?  If I did not, any good solutions?

Thanks

I have a friend who uses a fishing weight (Non Lead type).

Cheers
Preston

I've not had that problem.  The tubing from the Hepa filter is fairly stiff and stays down fine.  I saw one person who had wrapped some copper wire around a flimsier tubing and that was cool, because it was very straight and he could move it around the wort if he wanted. 

You could us a dip tube from a corny keg. Connect the stone to the tube and the hose to the other end. I did that and it stays down. I sometime whisk it around while feeding oxygen.

I aerated with a fish tank pump, with filter and diffusion stone. Didn't seem to make a bit of difference than when I didnt. I chill with a counterflow , with valves full open, and splash down through a funnel and filter, then a little sloshing when I add the yeast.  I believe I have a decent amount of oxygen, as I get some very active fermentations, blowing out the top of my carboys regularly.

Have any of you used a dissolved oxygen meter with a tank pump?  I'd like to buy one, but they are pricey.

I just give the yeast wort in the fermenting bucket about 1 minute of oxygen. I also use yeast nutrients to make sure the "yeasties" are happy. I can't say that my fermentions are any more vigorous than before. I just always get more consistent fermentions. (No stuck or long waits). A meter to check oxygen levels would be overkill. Shaking a carboy sitting on a tennis ball works great for some people! Not for me.

Back