• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

ALE yeast instead of Lager

mikifin101

Apprentice
Reaction score
HI
I have a recipie for a south african Castle Lager.
Thing is i have never done a lager before, only ales.
Is it possible to use ale yeast instead? how might this affect my beer?

Thanks

mikifin101 said:
HI
I have a recipie for a south african Castle Lager.
Thing is i have never done a lager before, only ales.
Is it possible to use ale yeast instead? how might this affect my beer?

Thanks

Lagers need cooler temps.  Depending on your conditions you may need to be able to ferment in the 50's and then cold crash into the 30's.

I agree, Lager Yeasts require cooler temps (around 50F for 2-3 weeks) in order to ferment out. You can use an ale yeast with your recipe, however it will not be the same. Lager yeasts usually leave the beer cleaner, meaning they don't impart flavors to the beer.

Some alternatives would be use the most flavor neutral yeast you can find (like WLP001, or S-04).

You could also make what is know as a steam beer. You would use the same Lager yeast, but ferment it at Ale temps. It still wont be the same, but it will be good either way.

Cheers
Preston

Nottingham dry yeast is very neutral and its temp range goes down to 57F.  It's not true lager yeast, but it's clean, esp. when firmed that low.  It also flocculates very well, so the beer would clear like a lager.

Also, if you are new to brewing...find a recipe of a style you like, a simple recipe at that, and get the ingredients the recipe calls for.

Follow directions, with the proper stuff and you will make beer you like.

Try Wyeast 2112 California Lager. Particularly suited for producing 19th century-style West Coast beers. Retains lager characteristics at temperatures up to 65° F, and produces malty, brilliantly-clear beers. Apparent attenuation: 67-71%. Flocculation: high. Optimum temp: 58°-68° F.    I have used it as a lager substitute and am very happy with it. Good Luck

I can't see why not.

It'll be an ale.

Back