• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mixing yeast strains.

Berkyjay

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I am curious if anyone here mixes together yeast strains in any of their brews.  I'm thinking of combining an American and German yeast strain in an Amber recipe I am cooking up and I'm looking for suggestions.

James

I mix yeasts regularly. I reuse yeast and sometimes mix (similar) types to create "unique" fermentations. Some brewers really like to hit the BJCP style right on the head. I only try to brew good beer. I don't always do that but I like the challenge. The only problem is when you create a super beer replicating it is nearly impossible. To me it's not the price of yeast it's creating beer that I make and I drink.

Some of the Belgian abbys  do it.  They often bottle with a second yeast  or go to  what we would call the secondary ferment.

I keep it in the closet for when I end up with a stuck ferment.  The malt based sugars can be too tough for yeasts bred over and over in an increasingly oxygen starved atmosphere.  A new injection of yeasts can  often be the trick.  A good reason to pitch high rates in the first place.

Back