• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Queries on How to Enter Some Info into Recipe View

funkymuppet

Apprentice
Reaction score
All,

Just about to start using Beersmith for my first extract brew, and have couple of queries on how to enter some specific information in the Recipe View:

• The instructions state 2.5 gals first for the wort boil and then it gets topped up to 5.0 gals once in the primary fermenter - do I still just enter the water in the ingredients list as 5.0 gals and have the boil volume as 5.0 gals?
  • I believe when I bottle it I should leave the bottles to carbonate at room temp (around 65-68) for a couple weeks and then stick in the fridge - I assume the temp for carbonation is entered into Beer Temp in the Carbonation section? But then with Age, what do I stick in there for time and temp? I know it possibly doesn't matter to any calcs, but I do want to record the info properly so I can be consistent.

Thanks all,

JW

funkymuppet said:
  • The instructions state 2.5 gals first for the wort boil and then it gets topped up to 5.0 gals once in the primary fermenter - do I still just enter the water in the ingredients list as 5.0 gals and have the boil volume as 5.0 gals?

The boil vol would be 2.5.  This number drives hops utilization.  If you put 5# of DME in 2.5 gals, then that would be fairly rich, high-gravity wort, negatively affecting bitterness.  There's a check box there to mark DME as a late-boil addition to account for that. 

• I believe when I bottle it I should leave the bottles to carbonate at room temp (around 65-68) for a couple weeks and then stick in the fridge - I assume the temp for carbonation is entered into Beer Temp in the Carbonation section? But then with Age, what do I stick in there for time and temp? I know it possibly doesn't matter to any calcs, but I do want to record the info properly so I can be consistent.

The temp of the beer when bottled is what is used; this temp affects the residual CO2 in the beer from the ferm, and is factored into how much more CO2 must be created by priming sugar to reach the final vols CO2.  The storage temp is for records-keeping, I think. 

Back