• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

crystal malt question

J

Jonnyb

Hi, Ive got a recipe that calls for some 10L crystal malt but all I can get my hands on is 30L. Can I just use less then what the recipe calls for? Or what else are my options. Thanks

If you add less you'll just get watery beer -- the "L" number refers to the roast level of the malt which corresponds to how dark the malt is. 10L crystal is very light and add little color to your wort -- 30L crystal will be a bit darker.

If you don't have a LBS nearby I'd order your crystal from either Norther Brewer or More Beer depending if you're East or West coast

Thanks for the info. For now I think ill just add the 30 and have the slightly different end result. Im up in Canada so those distributors wont work so good for me. Know any good sites that ship out of Canada?

Also look for Dingemann's Caramel Pils; it's about 8 Lov and has a similar profile.

Back