• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Should I build Up?

Wildrover

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I plan on making a Maibock this weekend.  According to Mr. Malty's Calculator I need close to a two gallon starter with one vile.  I don't have any containers that big so I went ahead and simply made a approx 1.040 (maybe slightly more) starter in my one gallon container that could hold it. 

Should I build it up when it looks like its run its course or do you think I have enough? 

If you have time run it up a bit higher. Just make sure that you oxygenate it well. A miabock needs good healthy yeast starter. Good luck.

Can I step up in the same container?  I read somewhere that if I make another starter that is about the same size as the one I have now the yeast won't grow, is this true?

I think palmer discusses that the yeast only grow to the "size" of wort that they are in.

I also think some of the really big mr. Malty calculations are outrageous.  Unless that beer is going to be 10% or something, I would think a gallon starter would do.

That is not a scientific comment, but just one based on read others comments.

I have done 1 gallon starters on big dubbels with good success.

I have (and do) step up in the same container (2000 ML Erlenmeyer) Between additions I sometimes refrigerate to separate and pour off water. I then take it out to warm and when ready I pour in cooled wort and let it run it's course. I may repeat a third time.

Lately I try to brew similar styles of beer to reuse the whole yeast cake. I love not having to clean the bucket each time. The wort kick off in just hours. I am not a style fanatic. I an a beer lover!

Back