• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Transferring BeerSmith key

cmbrougham

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Well, I gone and done it :D This post is being made from my new computer. Not a Mac, as I was originally shopping for, but a laptop nonetheless... and the wife is happy with it. I'm not going to complain  ;D

Anyway, I need to transfer my BeerSmith key from my old computer to this one. How do I do this without bringing down hellfire and damnation on my head? Gotta stay on this side of the line, this time...

Thanks!

Colin,
 1. Back up your recipes and any other data.  You can do this using the "Export As..." command on the File menu.  Use it once from your "My Recipes" view and then once for each of the other views you want to save.  Put all of these in a safe location so you can transfer them.

2. Make sure you have your original key with you (write it down) and then uninstall the program from your old computer.

3. Install BeerSmith on your new system.

4. Enter your key when you start the program up.

5. Update your database if desired - by running the "Update BeerSmith from Internet" command on the Tools menu.  I do not recommend using the "Automatic" or "semi-automatic" update given recent bug reports we've had - set your update option to manual for now.

6. Import any recipe and data files that you previously saved.  

7. Set your options as desired.  You can technically try copying and loading your old "options.bsm" file from your other computer as long as you have BeerSmith installed in the same location on both.

Cheers!
Brad

Sounds good! Just wanted to make sure I didn't cause any problems by having it appear that I was running two copies. Thanks for the tips!

As long as you uninstall one before installing the other there should be no problem.

Cheers!
Brad

Back