• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Recipes and Output

jvanwest

Apprentice
Reaction score
I am still evaluating Beersmith - great program however when inputting recipes, it requires that you put a date in.  I would like to keep this portion blank, if possible so when I create my recipe sheets, I can put in my own date and/or not put in a date.  It appears that I don't have to put my name in which is also good but I want to leave the date blank.  Is that possible?

Also, I would like to export to a PDF format.  Any possibility that this might be added in the future?  Is there a major update planned on being released?  I see that it's at 1.14 and I don't want to pay for it and then have the software go to 2.0 and have to pay again. 

Lastly, is the software compatible with Windows 7?

Sorry for all the questions however I am a newbie to the home brew craft.

Thanks!

Hi Jvanwest, Welcome to the forum.
jvanwest said:
I am still evaluating Beersmith - great program however when inputting recipes, it requires that you put a date in.  I would like to keep this portion blank, if possible so when I create my recipe sheets, I can put in my own date and/or not put in a date.  It appears that I don't have to put my name in which is also good but I want to leave the date blank.  Is that possible?
The date field can not be left blank. What I do is make the date something simple like 01/01/01. That way they don't end up in the calendar and I also know I have yet to brew it. When I'm ready just change it to the correct date.

Also, I would like to export to a PDF format.  Any possibility that this might be added in the future?
You can use a freeware software called Cute PDF writer [ http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp ] to print out in pdf format just as you would any printer. The PDF format was licensed (don't know if it still is or not) so most software companies kept that code out of their software because it would cost the software manufacturer to add it in.

Is there a major update planned on being released?  I see that it's at 1.14 and I don't want to pay for it and then have the software go to 2.0 and have to pay again.
There is a major release coming, however there is no date set for its release. Brad has mentioned that there will be a reduced price for those who currently own the current version.

Lastly, is the software compatible with Windows 7?
Yes it is. On the download page is states that is is compatible with Windows 7, Vista, XP, 98SE, Linux Wine.

Sorry for all the questions however I am a newbie to the home brew craft.

Thanks!
We have a very talented group of brewers here on this forum, and we don't flame anyone for asking questions. So let us know if we can help!

Cheers
Preston

Awesome.  I just bit the bullet and purchased the program so now I am a fully registered user.  I have some recipes from my local brew supply store (http://www.brewersconnection.com/catalog/house.html) however they are not in Beersmith Format and I would like to redo them so they are easier to follow.  Some of the ingredients they use are not in the pull down areas for malts, grains, etc. so I am double checking to make sure they match up correctly

Glad to hear you are now a registered user!

Make sure you get your equipment setup correctly from the start. You can find that info here http://www.beersmith.com/equipment_setup.htm . This will save you some headaches later and make the brewing process smoother for you.

Cheers
Preston

Back