• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

American Wheat/Rye Ale - Mash Temps?

S

SFBeerGuy

I am making an American Wheat this weekend.  The grain bill will include 60% wheat and I was wondering if the normal mash temperature scale works the same for wheat as it does for mashes made predominately of barley.

I am going for a beer with a noticeable maltiness with some left-over unfermentables.  I am hoping to impart a crisp Rye character as well.

Anyone have any suggestions as to the saccharification temp/s?  Step mash needed?

I would do a two step mash to prep the rye and wheat for Sacrification. The first one at 122F for 30 min. Then because you want a full bodied beer, the second at 158 for 60 min. Same temps as barley because the same enzymes are at work.

Cheers
Preston

Thanks Preston.  I was thinking about something along those lines.  What do you think about a 2-step sacc. mash? (140F and 15xF)  Would this be beneficial along side the 122 rest to get some more fermentables in the wort?  Or perhaps this would leave the beer a bit too dry?
Brad

I would agree some protein rest would be helpful with that much wheat and rye. 

Somewhere recently I read that the low-end prot rest (~122F) promoted amino acids, which ends up as yeast food, and the high-end rest temp (~133F) promotes more medium-length proteins that lead to a fuller mouthfeel.  But Palmer says that is crap (pg 146). 

If you stepped it like that it would dry it out. Brew it and if you don't like it, change it. How bad can it be, Its beer! d:

Cheers
Preston

Back