• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Setup for Five-Gallon Recipes

Yeah, I guess I am spoiled and keep forgetting that people have to order pots and burners. I live in south Louisiana where you can buy this stuff dirt cheap. I can get a burner anywhere for $15.00. I can buy those stainless pots for the same price anywhere.

So... the best laid plans, as old Burnsie said, gang aft agley.  And this plan has gone and done that.  ::)  Upon examination of the brew pot, it was discovered that, while it isn't too tall for the stove, it is too big in every other way.  It overwhelms the burner, and full of water it would be so heavy that the glass stovetop might crack.  So, as suspected, I need a different solution.

I could go for a propane burner, and I've found one that isn't as expensive as buying from a homebrew supply store.  But I'm hoping to avoid propane.  While I'm currently able to borrow the parents' house for brewing, I'll be heading back to college in the fall, and while I don't yet know where I'll be living I have a feeling it won't have a suitable space for propane burning.  I'll drive 300 miles to brew here if I absolutely must, but for obvious reasons I'd rather not do that.

Would an induction cooktop -- something like this -- do the trick?  I've seen the "heat sticks" some people use, but I'm not comfortable dealing with the amount of power those draw, especially not after the warning not to use them with older wiring or your house will burn down.  If induction won't work, is there another option of which I might not be aware?

I use a 90,000BTU natural gas burner.  Had to make my own stand for it using fireplace brick.  Got it at a brew store in Steven's Point, WI and they got it online, I don't know where.

Djehuty said:
Is there really no way to brew five gallons of beer with five-gallon pots?

I'm back to this point.  You could make great beer with standard equipment that would work on any stove.  Just figure out how to mash the maximum amount of the wort, and use DME for the balance of your OG target.  It may not be ideal for your desires, but neither are your living constraints and travel and imminent move 300 miles away.  If you want to brew in either location, you'd need equipment that would work in either location.  Once you're in a permanent place that will allow AG equipment you'll know the ropes and the transition will be fairly easy.  Just my 2 cents.

Thanks again -- good advice, as always. :)

I gave it some thought, and bought the propane burner.  If worse comes to worst and I can't use it at the new apartment, I can brew with extracts and mini-mashes up there, and have an all-grain brew day when I visit the folks.  Everybody wins!

Back