• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Fix my mash profile.

TimCA

Apprentice
Reaction score
Wanted to try beersmith tomorrow.  I am Having trouble with the mash profile.  I use a 17Q cooler for a mash tun.  And a 15.5 converted keg and a brew pot.and do 11 G batches.  Normally I add about * gal to the 22 Lbs of grain and get 5+ gal out into the kettle.  Then I add another 8 G of water to the mash tun, wait and run that out getting about 13G total in the boil kettle.  When I try to pick a profile I don't see on that matches that, so I try to create one.  Every time it gives me 30 Q for the first step and 0Q on the second.  This does not add up to 13G!!!  What am I doing wrong? 

Thanks Tim

Make up your own.

I start with  a mash tun that was pre heated with hot water.
Then I dump the grains in and start raising the temperature by recycling my strike water through the mash tun back to a pot and then back to the Tun over and over.  When re heating the wort I try to get the  fluid in the pot just  a few degrees  (  2 - 3) above my target temperature.  This of course means I'm going to be performing the re-heat process quite a few times for each temperature target.

113  F - fifteen to twenty minutes then slowly  up to
126 F -  fifteen to twenty minutes then slowly  up to
135  F - fifteen to twenty minutes then slowly  up to
146  F  - fifteen to twenty minutes then slowly  up to
151  F  - for  forty minutes to an hour.
155  F  - for forty minutes to an hour.
Then mashout at 170 for fifteen minutes
Then I batch  Sparge
Then I vorlaf till the wort is brilliantly clear

The first time I undertook this process it seemed like a lot of work but from then on it was just routine.
Check this out:
http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter14-1.html
http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter17.html

I know about diastatic power of modern malts and yadda yadda but it really seems to help the beer to do it using a slow process with  rests at  temp for the various stages

Or just do a two step with mashout

30 min Protein Rest TARGET TEMP: 122.0 F
30 min Saccrification TARGET TEMP: 150.0 F
10 min Mash Out TARGET TEMP: 168.0 F

Try This;Figure on using ~1/2 of your total water to get to the conversion temps (compensating for grain absorption,add the extra amt.)for the first ringings and then batch sparge with the remainder.This is a technique that I've seen touted as pretty good in many articles on the subject and it works pretty good for me.Just play around with the water/grain ratios in the mash section and coordinate that with the water needed calculator.If you enter the correct amount in the box on the water needed page,it will tell you what the amt. of the sparge water is.
Maybe not that simple,but just my two cents.Good luck. ;D

TimCA,

We're not sure where you are on all this but it will work out. Try this:
Make sure your Equipment Profile Selection is correct. If not create one. See Screen Shot for Equipment database. Critical points are:
1. We duplicated a profile with a 15 gallon boil pot.
2. We double clicked it to edit it

See screen shot of Equip.
We picked one that was close, duplicated it, then edited it. Critical points are,
1. Set Mash Tun Volume to 17 gallons
2. Note & correct Mash/Lauter Tun Losses - we left the profile default
3. Check box to allow Boil Volume to be calculate automatically
4. See the Boil Volume Calculated

In Screen Shot Recipe 1 we made the following changes.
1. Select the Equipment Profile we just created
2. Set our Batch Volume to 11 gallons
3. Check box so Boil Volume is Based on Equipment Selected

In Screen Shot Recipe2 we made the following changes
1. We selected a Mash Profile. You didn't say, so we just picked Single, Medium, Batch Sparge.
2. We checked the box to Adjust Temp Base on Equipment

The we clicked on the Details to edit the Mash Profile. See Screen Shot Mash Profile.
1. We edited the Mash Step to set the 32 qt strike you specified. See Screen Shot Edit Mash
2. we checked the Batch Sparges that fill (5.) 90% mash tun volume - is default. More later
3.Checked box to Sparge using equal batches
4. Checked box to Drain Mash Tun before Sparging.

That's basically it.  See the Screen Shot Brew Sheet to verify 13+ gallon boil.

If you need two batches of Sparge, back in the Mash Profile Screen Shot, at step 5 you can lower the % of mash tun volume to get the steps. At 75% you get two equal steps. If you need tighter volume control, you can Tune for your equipment losses by careful volume measurements to determine your exact system losses

We hope this helps. We can't get all of the screen shots in one reply so the remainder will follow.
Good Luck, let us know how things turn out.
Preston

Attachments

• database.jpg
    database.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 508
  • Equip.jpg
    Equip.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 506
  • recipe1.JPG
    recipe1.JPG
    162.2 KB · Views: 476
Back