• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Boil volume based on equip

R

Ren

If my batch size is 22.7 litres, but I change the boil volume ( after unclicking the set boil volume based on equip box) higher or lower the OG estimate in beersmith stays the same. I would have thought this changes especially if the amount of ingredients stays the same. For example I could add 100litres to the pre-boil volume and the OG remains the same reading in beersmith. Is there something I'm missing?

I'm gonna re-post this as I don't think I've made my point that clear.

If my batch size is always set at 22.7 litres, and I change the boil volume higher (or lower), the OG estimate in beersmith stays the same (after unclicking the set boil volume based on equip box). I would have thought this would change especially if the amount of grain used stays the same. For example if I Keep the batch size set at 22.7litres & then sparge with 100litres or 30litres or 50 litres etc etc but, the OG remains the same reading in beersmith. Is there something I'm missing or is there another post related to this?
Or does the OG always stay the same whether I sparge with any amout of water? 
Cheers.

The OG estimate is going to be calculated for your BATCH size, the amount you end up after "X" minutes of boil..... which is all you care about anyway.

Thanks for the reply. So I guess what I really need to is just keep sparging until I reach the boil volume. Now I think about it my question really was average. Doh.

Back