• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Barleywine ??

stevemwazup

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
    I'm wanting to make my first Barleywine (all grain), for a club only comp that will be held in November. I think if I start now, giving it about 8 months to age might be OK.

I plan to use a British Pale malt, some Crystal 75,
and hop it using Warrior at 90 min,  EKG at 15 min,  and dry hop with Centennial, Chinook, and Simcoe.  With WLP 007

Mashing at 148 for 90 min.
I have been using this small paddle device that goes on a drill to airate, but I'm thinking on getting an oxygen set up, to add pure oxygen to the heavy wort. ( More Toys :) ;D.

So.... this is the recipe that I would like to use,
but I would like to ask for any tips, suggestions, or any other comments that would help.

stevemwazup

Can you post up the recipe.bsm file for us to look at? That should help us to see where you are going and make suggestions from there.

Cheers
Preston

The .bsm would help, but having a sufficient-sized yeast starter is critical.  Check out the mrmalty.com calculator for the batch size and OG you're making.  It might take multiple packages and a huge starter, depending on your methods.  Have fun with it.

I'll be using
22.5 lbs. Pale Malt  U.K.
1. lbs. Crystal 75

2.oz Warrior  17 AA  90 min.
2.5oz EKG  4.75 AA  15 min.
.50oz Centennial  10.5  AA  Dry Hop
.50oz Chinook  13.  AA  Dry Hop
.50oz Simcoe  13.  AA  Dry Hop

Yeast WLP  007 Dry English Ale  (**On to a yeast cake**)

Mash temp 148.  for 90 min.
35.25 qt water at 157.2    (step at 148. for 90 min)
12.qt water at 156.   (second rinse -- Mash Out  for 15 min

On Tuesday the 6th. I'll be brewing up a Scottish 60, using the WLP 700 yeast.   (IF IT'S NOT SCOTTISH, IT'S CRAP.  old SLN skit, very funny.)

Once that brew get done, I'll brew the BaryleyWine Wort and put it on top of the yeast cake.

Sooo.... Since this is my first BIG, BIG brew I thought I would run it by you guys and get a second pair of eyes, as they say.

Thanks for the reply
stevemwazup

Make sure you have the yeast cake oxygenated well. If you can "safely" add additional oxygen during primary fermentation (with pure C02 and a airstone) that would really help. Also add some yeast nutrients to help feed the little buggers too! Good luck!

Back