• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Fermentation Chamber...

T

therobot

Built a fermentation chamber ala BYO's design in a recent magazine, but did mine for heating.  Now looking towards the summer months, and figure it might be useful for it to do cooling as well.  The article uses a window AC unit, which would be fine, but I was wondering if anyone else had any ideas about chilling that space.  Are there any mini air conditioners that exist?  My first explorations on google haven't turned up much.

I built a bottle-storage shed (aka cellar) with a small AC unit.  The smallest at Lowe's was still 5000 BTU and around $120.  I have it set to maintain the temps from 56F to 60F.  I hope to also ferment hybrids in there soon.

If you go forward, one piece of advice is to re-work the wiring on the AC first, before installing it.  It needs to  be hard-wired "ON" so that a temp controller dictates when it runs.  Window ACs have electronic thermostats in them that defeat our beer purposes. 

Attachments

• DSC00055-copy.JPG
    DSC00055-copy.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 553
I was going to build a walk in room in my cellar and drive it with a window AC unit.
Technically it's a fine way to do it.  That'd of course mean I'd be doing more hauling  heavy things around.
I was toying with a brewery build in the cellar and eventually I realized that I was just planning on more work to do a thing that was not  optimum in the first place.  My cellar is a damp musty dirty hole upon which my 250 year old house was built.  The floors and walls are masonry and concrete but still - - it's rough.  Not a place you;d want to be brewing beer.

But I have since decided to forgo all the exercise and just buy a jacketed fermenter. 

Therobot,

If you build a smaller unit, you could use a Pelitier Junction unit. This is the device in the 12 volt coolers. It has the advantage of cooling and heating. You just need to work out your controller. This is great for an unheated garage.

Preston

Back