• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

batch size?

Hopmonster

Apprentice
Reaction score
had a question on batch size, will increasing your boil size on an extract brew cause your OG to be to high by producing to much sugar? i.e if a recipe calls for a 2.5 gal boil will icreasing it to 3gal hurt anything.

In general --- regarding partial boils: increasing the size of the boil volume only helps your brewing to be better. However you don't want to take a recipe for a 2.5g partial boil and just increase the water to 3.5g. To maintain the OG - color - taste the recipe needs to be scaled up. BSmith has a wizard to scale recipes --- or do it by hand using BSmith by adjusting the equipment profile to the larger volume and then tweaking the values up

I had been boiling my five gallon extracts with a volume of five gallons of liquid. Only recently when I mentioned to my local home brew shop about needing a larger brew pot did he tell me the beuty of extract brewing in smaller boil sizes. No he did'nt have a brew pot in his store to sell me. :p

To increase the water dilutes the sugar lowering the gravity. Keep your ingredient proportions equal when increasing or decreasing to stay true to the intended recipie. You could make it that way and see if you like it better to be experimental.

John Palmer in "How to Brew" and Ray Daniels in "Designing Great Beers" both cover this in great detail!

How to Brew ver 1 is online so you can easily read up on your question. Ray Daniels covers the topic in a shorter way in his recipe development section on hitting your gravity numbers.

Both of these are very helpful books and have been a big help and wise investment for us!

Preston

Back