• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Kegged my IPA too soon

A

adamwheel

I had nothing on tap and rushed an IPA to the keg.  After a week, I poured a pint.  A great amount of yeast sediment came out in the first glass.  I've been letting it rest for the past 2 weeks.  I tried a glass last night and it still doesn't taste nearly as good as they usually do.  I did a yeast starter (first time) with wort that I'd pressure canned, so I don't think there's an infection.  It does taste a bit off though.

Questions:

1.  At 40 degrees and under pressure, will it still age and progress but just at a slower rate?  Do I need to sit back for a few weeks and let it be?

2.  Because I did the yeast starter on the stir plate for the first time, should I be at all concerned that I screwed something up?  I've read that yeast could be responsible for the off flavors.

3.  I'm using a keg for my mash tun now instead of the plastic Gott cooler.  Will the beer taste differently having been mashed in a metal vessel vs a plastic one?  I had a previous post about not seeing my HERMS setup in Beersmith.  I wonder if my equipment profile is off and that's messing something up.

Cheers,
Adam

Adam, what you are experiencing is quite common.  I usually wait about a month after kegging before having a glass of IPA or APA.  For some styles I wait longer.  And yes that first glass usually feeds the lawn...lots of yeast.  There could still be an issue but i suspect you got a mouth full of yeast and a green beer to boot.  Give it about four weeks and you'll probably be fine.  If not, you'll have some detective work to do.

cheers

adamwheel said:
2.  Because I did the yeast starter on the stir plate for the first time, should I be at all concerned that I screwed something up?  I've read that yeast could be responsible for the off flavors.

Did you pitch the whole starter at high krausen or dump the spent wort before pitching just slurry?  If big starter b/c it was big IPA, and you pitched it all, then possible that old wort is throwing off a slight taint? 

Clarity should come with time. 

Back