• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Does Regular Scented Bleach = Unscented Bleach

Alexander

Apprentice
Reaction score
I have read that you should not use Scented bleach to sanitize your equipment. However at the store they do not have anything called Unscented. They have Regular Scented and a bunch of other Fancy pants Scents. The Regular Scented Bleach smells like plain old bleach to me. Am I correct in assuming that Regular Scented Bleach is actually what people are referring to as "unscented" and that they are not doctoring it up a little with perfumes?

Thanks. 

I know exactly what you are talking about.  I would guess the unscented is plain, as the unscented Oxy-Clean is the same- no added perfumes. I just go with the straight Clorox then I know what I am getting.

Why use bleach?  Is it worth the risk of damaging stainless steel equipment or off flavors?  Look into using no-rinse sanitizers available at your brew shop.  Just a thought.

This is kind of like the sparkling water we buy. It comes in several flavors including "Original Flavor" meaning it tastes like water!  :D
I'm with the poster who said to use cleaner / sanitizers from your brew supply store. I've been using B-Brite for years with no problems, ever.

FYI.
I got a little impatient for the Answer so on the 29th I contacted the Clorox company via there contact page directly. They took longer than there normal reply window but here is their definitive answer. Names changed to initials.

Dear Mr. K.,
"Thank you for contacting us about Clorox Liquid Bleach. We always appreciate hearing from our consumers.

Clorox Liquid Bleach - Regular Scent has no added fragrances. The smell of the product comes directly from the active ingredient. I hope this information is helpful.
Again, thank you for contacting us.
Sincerely,
S. K.
Consumer Response Representative
Consumer Services

That might depend on the manufacturer.
If their standard product has some god awful stink added to it then regular might mean that.
When in doubt just unscrew the top and take a sniff right there in the store isle.
What? The manager is going to fault you for wanting to know if that is indeed the item you want?
Naaah.  If it's what you want, then all your questions will have been answered.

I just judged a flight of 12 beers last night and it was largely wonderful, except for one with the absolutely worst case of chloro-phenolic band-aid I've ever smelled.  Ruined an otherwise fine ale. 

With so many economical no-rinse sanitizer options available, I just have to wonder why one would risk a couple day's labor, and all the other expense in a batch of brew, to risk leaving bleach un-rinsed or re-infecting your carboy when you do rinse the bleach?  Star-San is 16 cents a gallon, and a gallon can usually stretch to two batches for me.  A dime per batch?  A very full teaspoon per gallon water is all it takes.

I've taken to six gallon batches where I fill a six pack and a couple bombers, then keg the rest.  I rarely see the bottles again because I tend to give them away.  To fellow homebrewers at work, the guy who supplies my grain, to the guy who fills my propane, to the guy with whom I trade empty Pepsi cans for empty non-twist-off bottles at the redemption center. 
The dirty bottles soon find themselves in a strong bleach solution, and can sit there for days or weeks.  So far I've only had one bottle that was so gunked up that I had to throw it away.

Otherwise I've been converted to Star-San.

As far as the actual topic goes.. regular scent means no perfume to cover the smell of the bleach.

To those of you that don't recommenced the use of bleach, in Basic Brewing Radio's 3-29-07 addition ( http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?page=basic-brewing-radio-2007) , Charley Talley of 5 star chemicals & the inventor of Star-San spends quite a bit of time in his discussion of sanitation telling people about the unjust vilification of using bleach and how to properly use it to treat your equipment with it.  I will not paraphrase as It is an informative listen & I recommend you listen for yourself.
He also spends a little time on iodophor (which is the subject of the 3-22-07 addition covered by someone else although I did not listen to it) &  Star San (including how to potentially make it last for months, if you want to spend the extra money). After listening to it I may actually actually use Star-San. However for my first batch it will probably be bleach.

Back