• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

stupid question!

L

lowtechlou

Has anyone tried using cola as a brewing medium?  i would think that something like DR PEPPER. would make a very unique beer??? of course you would be generous with the hops to cut the sweet flavor...unless you wanted to make a mead from it?? ::)

I have never (yet) brewed with cola. But many people have brewed with mountain dew. It seemed to go over OK. Sugar is sugar. If the drink is artificially sweetend? Maybe it won't fly. Try frankenberry cereal or Captin crunch?

Yeah - in general sugar is sugar and an additive like cola might add something. However as a family we are moving away from anything with High Fructose Corn Syrup in it. Which is hard because its almost everywhere. Thats one reason I brew because I know exactly what is in my beer etc.  You can find some great products that actually real sugar if you read the ingredients

I am walking away (running) from HFCS. That stuff once consumed turns directly into fat bypassing anything useful. I have lost 67 lbs since changing my diet. All this while building a kegarater with 3 taps. You know I had to test and retest each tap! I still lost the weight and still losing more! Good luck!

Amen, I watched a documentary called "King Corn" that revealed just how much of this stuff we consume and don't realize it. 

Lowtechlou,

We have never tried brewing with cola etc. We have been thinking about mixing Margaritas in the bottling bucket to give a Landshark like taste and maybe a little kick from the Tequila. We have just never figured out how to estimate the sugar content in the Margarita towards carbonation. Although, looking at the bottles of premade Margarita mix, most of the sweetener is HFCS.  :-\

We could, and have often, made our own mix. We use our bottling corn sugar dissolved 1 to 1 in boiling water to make the Bar Sugar called for in most drink recipes. Perhaps we'll try it next season.  :)

The Princess wisely cautions ............. Why take a chance on wasting good Margaritas to ruin good beer???  It certainly makes a man cautious! ;D

Preston

Back