Author Topic: Brew Sheet doesn't match water needed calculations  (Read 4325 times)

Offline toddm

  • BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • **
  • Posts: 9
Brew Sheet doesn't match water needed calculations
« on: May 01, 2010, 06:51:19 PM »
I'm stumped a little here. When I have BSmith make a brew sheet, it states I need more water than computed in the water needed tool.

I'm doing a batch sparge with 22 lbs of grain to produce and end product boil of 8.3 gallons.

To simplify things, I have all of the water lose based settings to zero (losses in mashtun, chiller, etc.).

Looking at batch sparge mash (brew sheet).
It states I need 27.5 qts for initial mash.
Then two sparges (mash tun too small I guess)
sparge 1: 7.71 gal
sparge 2. 3.8 gal
Add water to achieve boil volume of 10.6 gal

My math shows this is a total of 18.358 gallons of water going into the mash/sparge. Subtracting 2.64 gallons, this leaves  15.72 gal pre-boil. This is way too much. (Assuming 11% evaporation rate. 90 min boil)

Looking at the water needed tool. It comes up with a total of 6.12 gal sparge water. This produces a boil volume of 10.35. The 10.35 and 10.6 are close, maybe a due to difference in temperature and volume size (2-3%).

Any advice on where to look to make these numbers line up. I checked and double checked to see if there is a setting I'm missing, or a parameter that is set some where eles.

Offline SOGOAK

  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • *****
  • Posts: 383
Re: Brew Sheet doesn't match water needed calculations
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 07:01:24 PM »
I dunno, for me, it seems like I need more water than planned.  I guess in my case, I need to up the ammount of water absorbed by grain. 

The good thing is that even if I have to fudge in extra sparge water to get up to about 11gal preboil, I end up at a little over 75% efficiency which is decent and better yet consistent.
Good Recipe, Good Ingredients, Good Procedure, Good Sanitation = Good Brew.

Offline Pirate Point Brewer

  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • *****
  • Posts: 187
  • Cold Beer is Best at a Sunny Beach!
Re: Brew Sheet doesn't match water needed calculations
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 05:05:24 AM »
Toddm

Mine come out exactly the same. I can’t say it was initially straight forward.
Here are the reasons I found that contributed to differences.

1.   Data in you equipment profile must match data fields in Water Needed Tool
2.   Some fields in the Water Needed Tool read Static. I reselected All Grain at the top and the Static message cleared. This sets Absorption, and losses.
Try again, it should work out.

Preston
In Fall and Winter, we burn wood in the fireplace and brew beer.
In Spring & Summer, we're on the water or walking the beach!
 Then back at the dock we create a reason to brew!

Offline toddm

  • BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • **
  • Posts: 9
Re: Brew Sheet doesn't match water needed calculations
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 08:24:18 AM »
Preston,

Thanks for helping me solve this. I didn't have the equipment field set correctly. This may have changed my batch size... but then changed that back to the 8.3 gallons. It was late so maybe it was as simple as getting a night sleep and the confirming those two things.

As for the static values. I found as long as I moved the cursor into any field and then pressed the tab button it would update the static fields. I think that form just looks for a change in any field to update the static values.

Offline Pirate Point Brewer

  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • *****
  • Posts: 187
  • Cold Beer is Best at a Sunny Beach!
Re: Brew Sheet doesn't match water needed calculations
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 08:34:53 AM »
Toddm

Glad it all worked out!  Maybe you just needed a beer ::)

Preston
In Fall and Winter, we burn wood in the fireplace and brew beer.
In Spring & Summer, we're on the water or walking the beach!
 Then back at the dock we create a reason to brew!

 

modification