• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Ingredient Pricing

K

KegofWTF

I was wondering if the way pricing works could be changed.  Currently, you put in the usage unit and the unit price.  The total is then calculated in the shopping window by how many units you want to purchase.  The problem I keep running into is the Total is very seldom ever correct.  Take for example this situation.

I want to purchase some more whirlfloc.  I buy them in a package of 25 tablets.  So the usage is by item.  I then have to go to the brew store website to get the actual cost and divide it by 25.  Not a big deal, but the price / items is rarely ever a 2 decimal number.  Most times it's something like $4.99 / 25 = $ 0.1996.  So then there's no way for me to get an accurate price total in my shopping list.  What I usually end up doing is just changing the item details so the unit cost is the cost for the actual product at the store, then just say I'm going to buy 1 item in the shopping list.  The problem is I then have to change it back when I go to use it in a recipe.

What I would like to see in the shopping list, is that you enter how many units you're going to purchase and the price you'll be paying.  Beersmith would do the calculation to determine the price/item.  I'm not sure how this would be handled within the item database.  Since the price/item could be different every time I purchase more.  I guess each purchase could be tracked separately in the item database...  Then when selecting items for the recipe you could not only choose the item, but the item from a specific purchase.

By the way, I love the product.  I'm not sure how I brewed without it for as long as I did.

Best Regards
Matt

Back