• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Braggot

SleepySamSlim

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Has anyone brewed a braggot (basically adding a good amount of honey to a simple ale recipe) using BSmith ? Or have a recipe that is somewhat proven. From a bit of searching I'm wanting to do a Irish type ale (lower IBU) and add a orange or wild-flower honey.

Some refer to Braggot as half mead half ale .... but from what I can tell you are just adding some honey at flame-out and perhaps fermenting with a different yeast. And there may be an extended 3 or 4 week secondary ferment

A guy from my club had a lucky accident, and made a darn good braggot. He bought an extract kit, for a cream ale, from our local home-brew shop. Recipe called for adding 1# of honey at end of boil, and he added 1 gallon. (Guess he shouldn't drink when brewing). It took forever to ferment, but turned out to be a gold medal winner at the 2009 Meadllennium mead-only competition. I have enjoyed more than one bottle of his "mistake".

Thanks for the comment - I believe a gallon of honey is 12lbs. And honey does take a long time to ferment - so your friend had more of a mead for sure. I'll probably keep it on the primary yeast cake for 4 weeks - then rack it (and try to suck up a  bit of the yeast cake) where it will sit for 2 months or more.

Not sure when I'll do this but I know I need more info ... attached is my recipe based on Jamils Irish Red Ale. Tweaked to stay within the style guide. Of course the recipe will be tweaked until I think its right. I want this balanced both as an ale and as a braggot - not overly dry

StrongBow Braggot
Brew Type: Partial Mash        Date: 5/7/2010
Style: Braggot                   Brewer: Sleepy Sam
Batch Size: 5.55 gal           Assistant Brewer:
Boil Volume: 3.61 gal           Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 50.00 %

OG  1.062
FG  1.016
IBU  18

Amount Item Type
5.00 lb LME Golden Light (Briess) (4.0 SRM) Extract
0.38 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain