• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Adding Fruit to a Lambic?

T

tandqbrew

I'm going to be trying a fruit lambic soon. It'll probably be a framboise and I will be using a brettanomyces bruxellensis yeast.  Three question:

- Is it common to use this yeast by itself or in conjunction with another?
- When do I add fruit to my beer?
- How much fruit do I add to a 5 gallon batch?

Unless you want to wait about 18 months to drink your beer, ferment your beer with your standard house yeast first. Use a mash profile that will leave some residual sugar. A 100% brett beer will take FOREVER to ferment out to dryness ( though it makes a wonderful beer ). The fruit is typically added during the secondary brett fermentation, and depending on the amount of fruitiness you are going for anywhere from .5-2 lbs. per gallon should do. Sounds like a lot I know, but it takes a lot of fresh fruit to make the flavors come through. I suggest frozen fruit as it is a lot cheaper, and quite similar to fresh in a fermentation.

Darin

Back