• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

minerals

robininski

Brewer
Reaction score
We have done a water analysis a year ago and have made mineral additions according to the dilution rate at which we have decided. Just recently (04/24/2010) we brewed a (blonde ale). “A Simple Solution” and Laura noticed that the CaCl did not dissolve for the mash water. I have known this but never really gave it much thought. The thing is that we also add CaSO4 to balance the equation. Something that I don’t think has happened, because the gypsum dissolved and the calcium chloride did not.

Could this be the underlining cause of the sulfur, aroma & taste?

The beer we made May 24, 2010 we boiled the CaCL with distilled water until it dissolved before adding. That beer “A Simple Solution” which I am drinking right now is the best we have done.

Brew & Learn

Again if it would not be too much trouble, please send us your input.

Thank you again so much for your help:

Rob & Laura Tegel

What is the reason you are adjusting your water in the first place?
Too acid, too base?  Too filtered?
Are you trying to emulate some "style" from some geography where the water is crucial?

And of course the question I'm dying to ask: Have you brewed using the water as it comes out of the hole in the ground?
(this of course assumes you have a well) 

All I was wanting to know was if CaSO4 (too much) could add a sulfur taste, which I have learned, it will not.

Boiling with the lid on will.

Yes  indeed a lid can be problematic.
I use one  when I brew, but it's almost never fully on. 

I would have to suggest NEVER boiling with a lid even partially on. This will reduce the amount of DMS that is volatilized and released, creating sulfur compounds and a creamed corn flavor. Yuck.

Darin

Back