• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Watermelon Wheat

mterm

Brewer
Reaction score
I am looking for an extract recipe for a watermelon wheat. I have looked on line and found a few different ways of doing it. Some put watermelon in the primary some in the secondary. Some use real watermelon some use watermelon extract. Has anyone here brewed a watermelon wheat and do you have any suggestions.

Thanks,
Mark

I actually did a Watermelon Kolsch that I just bottled last week. May be a strange pairing but it tastes good and it's still a bit green. Let me tell ya, Kolsch yeast puts off a stinky sulfer smell. I was worried, but heard it was quite common, so just aerated the fermenting fridge daily.  ;D

I actually juiced a small watermelon, straining it through a big strainer and then through a fine strainer in my funnel. Put this in the secondary and racked from the primary. It kicked off a second active fermentation for a day or so and I ended up with a big layer of trub in the carboy. I really wanted a Watermelon nose and flavor so I also added one dram of Watermelon Extract from LorannOils.com. I'm a big fan of their products and 1 dram (aka 1 teaspoon) of their extract is usually enough for a 5 gallon batch, depending on how strong you want the flavor.

I actually racked to a tertiary for 3 days because of the wicked yeast cake in the secondary. It worked out well. It's about 10 days in now and it's got the Watermelon nose, watermelon flavor and it's still beer. Pretty nifty if I do say so myself.

A Watermelon Wheat would be a great pairing. The amount of Watermelon and juicing vs extract or both is up to you and what you're going for. I knew I wanted everyone to say "hey, that's watermelon, but it's beer!", so I went for both. The one thing to keep in mind is that if you over do it, you can't go back. Under do it and you can add some flavor via extract at bottling.

I've brewed a watermelon pale 5 gallon batch a couple of times.  Both times I juiced the watermelon.  The first time I used 10 pounds of watermelon and it came out fantastic, the second time I used 13 pound and it really over powered the beer and was not as good

Powerfreak and Jonas217,

Thanks for your input I am going to give the watermelon wheat a try I will us real watermelon. I will try 8 or 10 lbs in the secondary I was told I should take the watermelon, juice it and then pasteurize it by bringing it to 150 degrees for 20 minutes and then allow to cool prior to adding the secondary. Should I be worried about contaminating the beer by adding the watermelon juice in the secondary or will the alcohol kill what ever may be in the watermelon juice.

mterm said:
Powerfreak and Jonas217,

Thanks for your input I am going to give the watermelon wheat a try I will us real watermelon. I will try 8 or 10 lbs in the secondary I was told I should take the watermelon, juice it and then pasteurize it by bringing it to 150 degrees for 20 minutes and then allow to cool prior to adding the secondary. Should I be worried about contaminating the beer by adding the watermelon juice in the secondary or will the alcohol kill what ever may be in the watermelon juice.

Honestly, I only used a small watermelon, one of the ones that look are about basketball sized. I probably only had 4, maybe 5 pounds of watermelon and it worked well. I also used the extract too, so I think you're on track with 8-10.

I juiced mine in a food processor, poured everything through a steel strainer, then strained it again through the fine screen in my big funnel straight into the secondary. I did not pasteurize, figuring the alcohol would kill anything nasty off. I was very careful when I cut up the melon chunks, sanitizing everything before I used it. Other than that, I didn't worry too much.

We're enjoying this batch now and it's exactly how I wanted it... definite watermelon nose, some flavor, yet all beer. My friends that have tried it think it's great and want more, so I may have to do another batch before summer's over.

Good luck! Don't worry too much and have fun. It'll still be beer!

Jonas217 said:
I've brewed a watermelon pale 5 gallon batch a couple of times.  Both times I juiced the watermelon.  The first time I used 10 pounds of watermelon and it came out fantastic, the second time I used 13 pound and it really over powered the beer and was not as good

I brewed a 10 gallon batch of Watermelon Wheat last year and it turned out great. I just cut up the watermelon, crushed it with a potato masher and threw the remaining pulp and juice into the conical after primary. As for heating it up, I would advise against it based on my experience. With the same concerns as yours, I decided to heat up the pulp and juice before adding to the secondary. It lost everything that makes watermelon so delicious and desirable. No aroma. No taste. Luckily, I had a second watermelon nearby. Great beer though. Good luck.

You are right. I just took a gravity on the beer and the was very little taste or smell of watermelon. When I transfer it to the secondary I will add some more watermelon

About a month ago I went to the Beer Fest in Eugene Or. and tasted 21st Amendment's  Watermelon Wheat  OH Man was that tasty
stevemwazup

Back