• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Kettle Question

HoosierDanny

Apprentice
Reaction score
I recently dropped my brew pot and dented the bottom corner.  The porcelain coating cracked and chipped and is exposing the bare metal underneath which is now of course rusting.  Any suggestions on a way to fix this, or should I just keep on brewing in it? 

I'd toss it, although some would disagree. Some would say that since you are boiling that it's a non issue. But a good pot just isn't that hard to find.

My 2 cents

Agreed.  No sense dealing with rust each time you brew.

I'd use it. 
To quote Tony Stark: "A little Iron ain't never hurt no one."
OK he'd have used better grammar.  So that's a paraphrase more than  a quote. 

I have very high iron content in my water and it's great for beer making.  But that iron means that  it will not - absolutely not - ever - be worth a tinker's damn for making bourbon.

Of course this might also be a great opportunity to go pot shopping.
Google around the online Restaurant suppliers they are all dying and offering great deals.

although some would disagree. Some would say that since you are boiling that it's a non issue.

See what I mean?  ;D    But CR is correct, it won't hurt a thing.

There is a good deal on a 32qt stainless for $79 at Williams brewing, and it includes an installed kettle valve.

FWIW.... I recently bought a Turkey Fryer at Wallyworld for 29 bucks. 60 qt aluminum and a propane burner/regulator. (I just wanted the burner and regulator)

But then you open up that whole discussion about aluminum, and some would say ...............

Thanks, but I did neither.  I sanded it, and painted it with epoxy.  Brewed a batch yesterday, after a test run boiling some water and everything was fine.  We'll see how it goes and keep you posted.

The molecule that comprises  Epoxy  literally unzips around 250 F and starts to soften at much lower temperatures  most epoxies go all squishy at 150 F.
That's why you can not build a sailboat mast from an epoxy glue up. Ya gotta use resorcinol glue or else your mast will quite literally fall apart when you take it to the tropics.

So, if it's inside the pot the epoxy will add something to the boiling fluid.

Back