• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Airlock question

Lupulin Junkie

Apprentice
Reaction score
Ok, so I brewed my second batch of allgrain yesterday- 8gal. of an Irish Red, and everything went like it was supposed to.  I cooled it to 70 deg. before pitching the yeast, and the carbuoys are in a dark corner of my garage which stays between 62 and 68 deg. at this time of year.  I split the batch evenly and put 4gal in each of two 5gal glass carbuoys.  I figure with that amount of extra space in the carbuoys it would be allright to just put airlocks in each.  I go to check on them this morning and I see what appears to be a (for lack of a better description) a vacuum being set up in the airlocks/carbuoys (the water "barrier" being sucked back up into the airlock).  Any thoughts on what's going on? 

The temp change caused the vacuum: as it cooled it shrank.  Recommend you break seal to relieve vacuum and replace water with vodka or StanSan, in case it repeats.

I ferment 4 gals in 5 gal carboys all the time, and have now begun to use a blow-off tube all the time.  Don't always "have to" but it eliminates this problem as well. 

Back